Roaring 20's Scratchboard - Finished

Ok, here is the Car Grille scratchboard completed.  Again was a very unusual subject for me, but I was attracted to the sky reflections on the black paint and the way the lights played over the chrome areas.  I enjoyed the process.  Not knowing a car intimately I was able to focus more on just shapes and hope it came together. 
I definitely am going to continue to pursue these scratchboards and am thinking about using multiple boards to complete a picture - have to think a bit more about that but kind of like that idea.  This will sit on the board now for a few days - I haven't sprayed/sealed any of my scratches yet, but have gotten some floater frames so think I'll put them up and hang them in a place I can continue to live with them for a while.  Hilda, these floater frames don't have glass.  Jury is out with scratch experts on whether to frame with or without glass.  I am going to see if I can get a scratch juried into a show in July - fingers crossed.
Painting tips:
1)  Don't outline subjects, rather let the dark colors create the edges for light areas. 
2)  Make sure brush strokes always follow the contours of the surface you are painting.
3)  Use contrast for more impact - don't be afraid to use lots of contrast in your paintings. 

Comments

hmuxo said…
EXCELLENT piece, Nelvia!! definitely a winner! Congratulations!!!
The reflections are amazing,go for the show!
Jane said…
It definitely came together, pure fabulosity ! I would have no doubt about the show , just go for it !
Nelvia said…
Thanks Hilda, glad you like it. Got some input on how to frame and gives an overall larger impact. Think I will try to give it a to on this board.
Nelvia said…
Thanks much Caroline for the encouragement, as I told Hilda have a frame idea now for small sized 5x7 and am going to see if I can get it into a July show.
Nelvia said…
Thanks for your encouragement. Got to do it some time I guess and am going to try with group I life draw with. Well established here in Atlanta
Unknown said…
I've never seen anyone work like this from the truth ..
I think that is an award winning piece, for the great accuracy of all details,dear Nelvia!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo