The Dancers WIP

Still working away on the dancers and wanted to stop as I want to be really fresh on the tutu of the dancer closest to the viewer.  I don't want to over work it.  I am really doing a lot of redrawing with the brush on this and am feeling more confident on doing that.  I am also going to do another several coats of thalo green/ultramarine blue over the black to deepen the color and pull all the darks together, I am finding that the black I over painted on the thalo in the center tends to be lighter than the black over the  white - go figure. 
I have spent a lot of time on the skin tones of the dancer closest to us.  In the picture it reads very dark black, and even the hair versus the neck shadow just reads of black, of course we know that in real life we could see color variances.  So, I think there are going to have to be some additional blue/dark gray glazes there to enrich her tones.  Tricky, as I need to still be sure the light reads there as she is indeed the lightest portion of the picture. 
Also I see here that I need to lighten the girl standing right in front of her, making her a blonde so the slight bit of her hair gets definition from the closest dancer's darker hair. 
Also trying to decide if the right arm is too thin, I might need to beef it up so that it reads more similar to the left arm - anyone have thoughts?  Paint and fix, that is my world on this one.
Thanks much for stopping by and hope you are having a great week.

Comments

looking so good! I agree that the right arm looks too thin and I am puzzled by the brown on either side of her neck - she looks like she is wearing a bolster. I noticed a blue spot in the top left corner. I kept drawing my eye and I wondered if it is really there or just a trick of the light.
hmuxo said…
Looks amazing so far! You're doing everything right! Excellent skin tones!
Rita Vaselli said…
Dear Nelvia your work on tonal painting became truly extraordinary ... a technique that consumes time to put into practice but that gives real masterpieces to you, that you paint, and to me that watch with admiration. I know how much work behind this way of painting ... I'm going through very difficult times for the health of Danilo, but I decided that painting write and keep in touch with the world of friends in blogland as facebook (even with less time) is something that makes me feel good.
Habits are like a way of saying to ourselves that it is only a moment of the storm, but after everything will be calm

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo