Winter's Morn Pastel Landscape



Still am working out the bugs and learning about what is free and what is not in Canva.com.  Do you suppose it would help if there were directions?  I am catching them on the fly but maybe I should look for a tutorial.  But slowly the light is turning on and I am learning how to edit and customize the templates.   I know they are still pretty simplistic, but, come on, it's a start.  

This is a very simple landscape pastel study.  I took two different photos from PMP, one from Elizabeth Beveridge and Rodney Campbell, because I liked the wintery icy landscape, but didn't like the lighthouse that was there.  So I put in what is my idea of a lighthouse.  So not sure in the lighthouse world you can have this type of structure in this type of environment.  Since it was a dreary winter day I decided to pump it up a bit and so put in a different sky and then reflected some of the pink tones onto the ice.  This is pretty loose and not real detailed for me.  I kept my hands in my pocket so there isn't a lot of blending.  I did use a blender to smooth down the slick parts of the ice.  But in the sky you can see the underpainting peeking through.

Oh yeah, the ugly image on the right was the undertone that I put onto the sanded paper to start the painting.  I was already into the first stages of painting when I remember that I wanted to show a before and after.  Sorry it isn't in very great focus, but trust me you are not missing anything.  

Thanks much for taking a look.


Comments

Joan Tavolott said…
I love the winter colors and the shading on the ice. Very nice job!
Super piece Nelvia.I really like the wind-swept look of the ocean meeting the land. I can't say I understand the need for the under-painting when it get completely covered up as in the foreground but the finished product looks great.
Nelvia said…
I am going to get these landscapes yet. thanks
Nelvia said…
Hi Val, the way I understand the underpainting is that it will peek through and give the piece either more vibrancy or a cohesive look. In pastel you don't want to see the white of the paper holes if the support has a lot of texture. Underpainting prevents that and also can add a lot of depth. Also if you use dark colors under it helps in pastel because we don't have a lot of dark darks.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo