Winters Walk pastel cityscape

                                                                   Winters Walk
                                                                        12"x16"
                                                                         Pastel
Still not feeling at full throttle, especially after I shared "the crud" with my hubby and we have both been sleep deprived.  This is a piece of inspiration from Viacheslav, one of my favorite photographers at PMP.  He is just genius in his shots and I fell in love with the lights in this composition.

 It did give me some thought time though in trying to figure out how to render the leafless trees in the background.  I got some suggestions from the friendly folks at How To Pastel, no one came up with too many others ways to do it than what I had, so then gave it a go.

I started with  a piece of apricot MiTeintes paper, smooth side.  Then did the sky color layer and went at it with color pencils (it was the only way I thought I could get fine enough lines)  After getting that set in I added more color to get the opaque heavier foliage feel of lots of trees.  Then it was the fun part, the light.  Was a challenge to get the color in and keep it clean.  There is no white in this piece, you can see the apricot paper peeking through.  The figures really aren't much more than dabs and a few stokes, but since I usually don't do figures, I was pleased.  I debated putting in the little side fencing but decided to add as it really pulls the eye in from that corner to the first figure's shadow and then you can follow the lines back tot he focal point of the picture.

Always appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.  Thanks for taking a look.

Comments

Joan Tavolott said…
This has such a lovely feel to it. The shining lights provide such a great focal point to the scene. I think you did a great job on the figures...with just dabs and strokes. You did an impressive job on the masses of trees.
Sheila said…
This is so wonderful! I tend not to like winter scenes, but this has such a soft, peaceful feeling to it. I can hear the quiet, and the lights seem warm and welcoming :)
Nancy Goldman said…
This has a beautiful atmospheric effect and I can really feel the weather. I love it!
Sorry to hear you have been under the weather and glad you are improving enough to paint. This is a lovely piece; the warmth of the lights contrasts so well with the cold tones of the scenery. Well done!.
I really like this one, there is something really peaceful about it.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo