Northern Lights acrylic buffalo


                                                                  Northern Lights
                                                                         20"x16"
                                                                         Acrylic
Well I have been working on a new blending technique for acrylics.  And of course I am still enthralled with skies.  So the Northern Lights was a perfect opportunity to try to do another silhouette and I am partial to buffaloes.  This blending technique is trying to find the colors between two other major colors and then blend it seamlessly.  If I can perfect it the look would be much closer to what can be achieved with oils.  It sure isn't as easy as it sounds and I really struggled with this.  I just kept adding layers and glazes to try to bring out the various color tones.  What I ended up with for the sky bears no resemblance to what I was trying to use as a reference piece, but in the end I think I finally got close to what I was looking for.  I wanted to  have the color just float and be sort of transparent in the sky.  I definitely am going to work a couple more pictures in this technique and then going to go back and try another Northern Lights picture to compare and look for improvement.

Thanks much for taking a look.

Comments

Helen said…
Wow... wow... this is a powerful painting!
It's like the cover of a beautiful children's book. I want to read the story that goes with it!
hmuxo said…
Absolutely beautiful Nelvia! I only wish I could witness these lights in person!!!
This is lovely, Nelvia. I have done the northern lights in both watercolour and oils with some success but haven't tried acrylics yet. You achieved some lovely colour blends - well done!
Joan Tavolott said…
The sky colors are mesmerizing. Beautiful blending! Great job, Nelvia!

I did look through the Urban Sketching Chapters and there isn't one listed for Atlanta yet.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo