In The Garden acrylic painting Redo

In The Garden

Original painting

Well, thankfully I have some folks who tell me what they think.  I value their objective opinions very much and appreciate that they feel strongly enough to tell me when they feel something is off.  In the original painting no one liked the addition of the yellow flower, and felt it pulled the eye and overshadowed the focal point.  

Well, I sat on it a bit and starting playing with how I could work it back into the composition.  I wanted the third flower, but I couldn't just really dull down the yellow.  As you an see I ended up making it darker in shadows and then burying it into the foliage.  I like it better because it now looks, to me, like it is part of the picture instead of just being put on in the corner.  Moral of the story, fix it first because it is hard to come in and match colors later.

What do you think of the changes - for better or worse?

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.


Comments

Helen said…
I didn't mind the yellow flower at all, but yes, I do like it better now that it's pink and purple. This is a very nice painting.
Nelvia said…
The yellow didn’t jar me, but when I really studied it is kind of looked stuck on. I think this looks more cohesive now and finished. So much to learn.
hmuxo said…
Beautifully painted! Too many favorites!!!! Lol
laurelle said…
Definitely feel the composition improved without the yellow corner flower leading the eye out of the painting. You replaced it with an interesting, less obvious flower and the painting is delightful!
Nelvia said…
I know and I hate that I have to put them away, but am trying them on my Etsy shop to see if they can go to a new home
Nelvia said…
Hi Laurelle. Thank you for letting me know your thoughts, it really helps me validate the decision and hopefully not make the same mistake again. Much appreciated
Joan Tavolott said…
I like it much better this way. It improved the painting a lot. It balances out the other darker pink areas. Sometimes a little input helps.
Sheila said…
Much better :) And for the reason you mentioned ;)
carol edan said…
Love both versions although I side with the "yellow" flower. Mainly because it's different, out of balance makes it more interesting. Something I learned from my mentor!
I like this better too, Nelvia. The painting makes me think of my garden now when all the plants have filled out and are crowding each other - it may not be uniform but it sure is lively. - Well done!
Nelvia said…
I always appreciate your second set of eyes. It does help me. I think this painting looks more finished.
Nelvia said…
Always appreciate your taking a look and telling me when need to. It helps me improve as some times my brain is pretty whacked out.
Nelvia said…
I think the yellow flower would have worked, but needed to be camouflaged a bit more and maybe a darker color yellow. But I have changed it up now and am happy with it and think what is there now doesn't look like it was just stuck on, the yellow flower did a bit in retrospect. I do agree with your mentor and yourself though, you do have to have something a bit jarring occasionally.
Nelvia said…
Thanks Val, as I have told you before I appreciate your thoughts and usually you are right on the mark. You make me think and that I don't often do at the end of a painting. But yes, plants do tend to grow and enjoy profusion.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait