Golden Eagle - Scratchboard

Golden Eagle
11"x14"
Scratchboard
Ok, caught myself babying this along, so closed out my left brain, and just went for it this morning.  See, I still catch myself slipping back into bad habits, and that was something hard fought for that I gained from January's 30 in 30 painting challenge; the ability to work faster and go with the flow.  Now I reverted back to plodding because I was unsure and scared to make a mess of this.  This really shouldn't have taken this long as scratchboard can be bold and corrected without fear. 
Not sure I like the right eye in shadow, so might still go after that and tone it down a bit, not so black.  But overall I a happy with this first experiment. 
Scratchboard gives control, ease of correction and can get details, and you know how I love details.  Anyway, washed the entire background again with black India Ink to get rid of the marks and it does show streaks and bubbles when applied with the brush, so there has to be a better way to apply to get a smoother background.  Need to study up on that.  Will definitely do another one of these scratchboards, I have a board with a white coating that you paint on first and then scratch so that would give a different look. 
Thanks for stopping by and hope you are having the best week.  SPRING has hit Atlanta!!!!

Comments

Love the feather work and the eye,well done.
hmuxo said…
This Eagle is coming to life...you're doing a fantastic job with this, Nelvia!!!! The work with the scratch board is very impressive.!!
Nelvia said…
Thanks C, coming from you that is a huge compliment as you have the wildlife world pretty much down pat.
Nelvia said…
Hi Hilda, thanks for checking, can you take a look at the new post as I still have some questions and would appreciate your thoughts. The scratchboard feels like you are carving, or what I think carving would be like, as you are looking for the picture the board contains. I like the SB and will continue to try it with another piece.
Jane said…
Wow, this is really coming to life, awesome work Nelvia !
Nelvia said…
This is intriguing and kind of like drawing all over, got another smaller one going now trying to figure out the tools and techniques

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo