Sunflowers - Oil Pastel Experiment

Ok, here is the first oil pastel on a scrap of black Artagain paper.  I am not sure I really like using the dark paper on this and am going to do another try but with a white background and a bit rougher texture.  I think it will put more paint on the support with texture and I can try doing some sgraffito which I think would be pretty neat in the seed areas and maybe give the leaves some additional interest too.  But for a first try I found out that the Crayola Portfolios, while creamy don't cover each other that well, but they can be diluted with water and that might be something to try.  I also have had for many years the Faber Castell pastels and found them to be quite dry, now that might be my fault in that I've had them forever.  I also had some Pentel which I found quite creamy, but they are pretty small sticks and not sure how many pictures you could actually get and could they be replaced individually?  All good questions and certainly calls for yes -- more experimenation. 
Wow, isn't art fun?
Thanks for stopping by and hope you are having a great painting week.

Comments

hmuxo said…
Yes, Nelvia..!! Art is definitely a lot of fun..especially when you experiment with different mediums. You did a wonderful job on these sunflowers. I worked with oil pastels but found it difficult so I went back to regular pastels...I like the texture in this painting....nice work!!!
Jane said…
I really like these sun flowers , you painted them with a lot of movement and personality . Have a nice week !
Ik ken het martiaal niet maar het ziet er mooi ik denk ook dat een lichtere kleur mooier uit komt lieve groetjes Danielle
Nelvia said…
Hi Hilda, agree it is a different feel from dry pastel and doesn't feel like you can get same details. All just sort of slides or doesn't where you can ant it to. Ah well, going to give them another try or two and see if I can get the hang of it.
Nelvia said…
Hi Jane, just something about sunflowers that makes us feel good. They are sturdy flowers and do,have personality, don't they. We have them each summer and favorite time in their life is when the yellow finches show up to deseed them. Thanks for stopping by
Nelvia said…
Hi Danielle, yes I am trying new things just because I can I guess. It is fun to try to figure out how to,get the look you want with something new. Good learning I hope to,take back to my other work. Thanks for checking in.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo