Just Watching - WIP Pastel Velour

This is a wonderful shot from Gary Jones, at PMP, of a Sumatran tigeress called Kirana.  I wanted to do her because she was an excellent face close up and I wanted the challenge of her beautiful eyes and features because I am working on a new support surface and I figured why not give me a chance.   I wanted to do this larger than I normally would so that I have enough space for each feature to try to do some experimental things.   I changed this shot up a bit as I am going to bravely add some leaves over her finished face to give the feeling that she is in hiding and "Just Watching". 
As you know I am one of the most patient people I know - NOT.  So rather than do a lot of extensive reading and then swatch experimenting - well, I am going for it.  The paper color is a light tan/or golden beige. 
The velour surface takes the pastels (am using for the first layer primarily Nupastels (hard sticks) and some pencils, and will come back with softer pastels on top of it.  You can't really blend with traditional methods and I don't have enough pastel or skill to begin finger blending, so I am just trying to use harder pastels and smoosh, push and pull my way around getting the blended look I seem to so like. 
Of course I put her eyes in so she could talk to me while I do this piece.  It seems to me that this can take quite a few layers as long as you gradually/lightly put them on.  One thing you need to do when transfering the image to the paper, don't use a pencil or anything sharp, I actually used the very rounded end of a stipple brush, and that is why you see the line being so wide and not really very clear.  I used charcoal hoping that since it is pretty soft it would disapate and not leave any mud behind.  I did use a pencil where there is the beginning of her wiskers, hoping that it would indent the paper letting me know where they should originate from.  Won't know if that worked until I get to working in that area and right now am stumped on how I am going to get thin wiskers cause that ain't easy using pastel.
So, thanks much for stopping by and hope you are having a great weekend.  Do some painting!!!

Comments

hmuxo said…
You aced the challenge of painting her eyes, Nelvia.......Fantastic!!! I always paint the eyes first as well! This is going to be a beautiful painting...
Those eyes are drawing me right into the painting already.

Popular posts from this blog

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

Bold woman's portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo