Plein Air study

One of my goals for this year is to,work more from life and try plein air painting.  I have tried painting outdoors before and wasn't all,that successful.  So I,am trying to develop an approach that takes a small focus and then works up to a larger scene. 
 We are in the mountains and since we are at elevation the leaves aren't out yet on the trees.  You see so much without the leaves and small scrubby bushes.  So I choose this tree because of its knarled appearance.  No it isn't a work of art but I am pleased that it resembles the  tree that was my model.
Thanks for stopping by and have a great week.

Comments

I love gnarly old trees,is nice drawing the start of your journal?
Good job on the tree - they are always a good study. I am more inclined to take photos and work in my studio than to paint plein air because something always seem to change - the weather, the light etc - and then there are bugs. Good for you to try the challenge!
hmuxo said…
Beautiful work Nelvia. I should do more plain aire paintings! I'll wait until it gets warmer outside...lol
Jane said…
It's a great drawing Nelvia , very natural . Have a great weekend.
Rita Vaselli said…
Very powerful lines for a drawing (very complex!) of a tree full of character! Treasure it for your future landscapes as jewel, it is very well done and deserve a future life in your art.
Have nice week of plein air painting dear Nelvia !!!
Nelvia said…
Wow, thank you Caroline, Val, Hilda, Jane and Rita for taking a look and leaving me such nice comments. Isn't it funny how some of the things you think are simple turn out the best. I do know that it seems when you work from life you see more, better, focus, or something. But now that I am home am going to try to get myself outside and try it again.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo