The Venetian Violinist Finished

                                                              The Venetian Violinist
                                                                         9"x12"
                                                                         Pastel
Yesterday it was a Luna moth in the garden and  started off today with our big Shin hawk, all 2.5 feet of him, landing on our roof.  Went on the patio and we both just looked at each other, I was about 10 feet from him, he definitely knew I was there but didn't fly.  He was a beauty too.  Then I convinced Paulie to come out too and they looked at each other.  He regally accepted our homage and then gracefully flew two roofs down for another sit down as the crows has him pinned down.  Wow, what a way to start the day.
I was going to post an update on this picture but realized I was almost done so might as well finish it, however computer decided to act up so posting this morning.  This picture went so fast and am thinking it was because of the black paper.  Besides the cropping another thing I was experimenting with on this picture was trying to get different  textures.   The mask (gold leaf) and violin are painted and the skin, hands and fabrics are pastel.  Am really pleased with the hands in this piece as I usually find them rather difficult.   Also tried to use the red to move the eye around the picture so it wouldn't be too bottom heavy.
Thanks much for taking a look and hope you are having a great week.

Comments

Nancy Goldman said…
This is really beautiful Nelvia. I love how his coat melds into the background with just a hint of light hitting the edge. Did you paint on the gold leaf after you applied it? Pastel won't stick to it, will it?
Fabulous! I am a little confused by the red collar(?) behind the violin but the rest of the pic is great - good work!
Nelvia said…
Hi Nancy, thanks for,the comments, it validates the thought process and is much appreciated. Am pretty happy with this guy. I didn't know if the gold leaf would hold pastel until the mask I am working on now, it does at least short term. This is a liquid gold leaf not sure the film kind would although I have seem peopel,paint over it with oils and acrylic.
Nelvia said…
Yes Val you are right it is a red collar on his coat. I used it to balance out the red of the sleeves and help move the eye to the violin and the mask. I thought it looked odd without it. You never know which ones are going to come together but he felt good from the planning stages. Glad you like him.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo