Running Free - Day 5 30 Day Challenge

                                                                   Running Free
                                                                      20"x16"
                                                                      Acrylic
Here is another palette/painting knife adventure.  Actually got most of this done in one day, but needed to do the legs and go in and tweak the body musculature on the second day.  Yes there are places where I went back over the knife texture with a brush as I am not skilled enough to do it all with the knife.  I really wanted the alternative colors to be bolder, but it is hard to push myself to go there and since I am working pretty much wet in wet it tends to blend in.   Finally realized that if you get enough acrylic down then it tends to act much more like oil in drying time.
However, I am definitely going to try more horse paintings to see if I can really let loose.  Loose that is the key word for the knife paintings, you just can't get detail (or at least I can't)  This was done on canvasette paper, so it has that slick surface that the paint can run over, I think this too also tends to slow down the dry time.  I did another knife painting yesterday that I did on mat board and it absorbed faster so the surface wasn't as slick - hence I realize paper or canvas really does make a difference.  The other thing I am trying to adjust to with the knife is how much paint is enough or too much.  I think again the key is just practice, practice, practice.
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day - Stay warm!!

Comments

Meredith Adler said…
Fun with the palette knife! Wow, you are painting large, aren't you?! I really like the movement in this one...
❀~ Simo ♥~ said…
Opera superlativa! Ottimo
WOW -more detail than I would try - well done!
Nelvia said…
Yes I think I got a little carried away and that is why it took two days. I am struggling with the knife, guess It
needs more practice
Nelvia said…
Thank you so much for stopping by to take a look and leave a comment. So. Much appreciated
Nelvia said…
Thanks Val, one thing just led to another. I seem to be working bigger in this challenge, not sure why, unless I think I need to to wield the knife!!
Meredith Adler said…
I guess now's the time to practice! The struggle really doesn't show by the way, in this one or the new one...

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo