NYX fairy WIP



Well as I write this we are again gray and had big rains, my poor old house is almost under water.    Well, not literally, but there is a lot of standing water in the yard.

No I am not working so fast, I just posted my other fairy yesterday - I am out to lunch on the results and so this morning I decided to take a bit and start this new project.  This is Nyx, Greek goddess of the night.

While I haven't been doing art I was watching videos and got caught up watching Cinnamon Cooney, calls herself the Art Sherpa.  Her Mom, Ginger Cook, also does videos and posts at PMP, where I get a lot of reference photos/ideas.  Anyway, Cinnamon works in acrylics, has posted many videos on all types of subjects, and while I don't always like what she comes up with, I do like how she presents her process.   She has a Big Art Quest, you can find on Facebook, where she picks a theme for a year and then teaches toward making those picture.  She has done this for several years and this year she syncs with one of my interests, fairies. As she goes farther into the year she is going to deviate from the actual photo, matter of fact she did so in February's project, but I think the models are so superb I may paint them as is.  But what I am interested in is how she does the change-it-up process.  Nice to get another person's thought input on a particular subject.  She is going to do 12 fries, one each month.  She does about 4-5 hour long videos, live on Thursdays, and and then posts on YouTube.  That way you can work at your own pace and you can rewind and watch parts over again, etc.  Anyway, since I really love the reference photos I am going to try to do these fairies and hopefully learn some new tricks.

Nyx is January's fairy and I am pretty much just getting her started.  I am finding out how much light affects your color perspective.  In the studio I went from west light to north light and find that I need to get bolder.  In this project the two things that I am working with that are newer to me are using transparent/mixing white and blending medium to make these transparent sections and also to glaze color layers. I haven't really used the multitude of mediums that are available and some of them give pretty great results.

Got my easel set up and had trouble getting a true-to-life photo because it is so gray outside and I haven't gotten my daylight bulbs in the ceiling fan yet.  Oh yeah, still no cookie sheets to be found!!

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.

Comments

Joan Tavolott said…
It will be interesting to see all your fairies. How great that you found someone to follow who will be showing her method and tricks. I like the position of the fairy and the starry background.
Sheila said…
Awesome start Nelvia, seems to me you have a lot done already! Had to laugh about the cookie sheets. But I will cross my fingers that the rain stops!
A super start to this piece Nelvia. I am going to look up Cinnamon as it sounds very interesting. I plan on trying more mediums with my acrylics this year too - should be interesting.
hmuxo said…
This is a wonderful beginning Nelvia!!! I missed a few of your work but now I'm up to date..lol. Love your previous Fairy....as always it's such a treat visiting you!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo