A Storied Face

                                                            A Storied Face
                                                                14"x11"
                                                                Acrylic
Finished the larger version of the little ATC card that I did.  Wanted to do the larger so I could further experiment with the wrinkles and well, got to admit that I really loved the skin tone.  Use lots of washes in this piece, colors that might be surprise you.

Kind of interesting, there is some question on which sex the Storied Face is.   My first impression was a woman, my husband claims it is a man, Helen wants it to be a woman.   What do you think?

Still uncertain whether or not to put a background behind the right side of her face so it pops out more?  I kind o like that it is picking up the color of the background but maybe a dark would be more striking.   So, looking for opinions!!

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.

Comments

Helen said…
You know... usually I'd say that yes, a dark background might make the face stand out more. But for some reason on this one, I love that it's the same. It's like she's part of the background, comes from the background.
Joan Tavolott said…
I like that the gender isn’t definite. I like it as is.
I agree that gender isn't important with this piece - sort of universal picture of aging. I don't think a complex background would work but maybe soft washes of lighter tones around the face to help the parts that blend stand out a bit more. You have done a wonderful job on this piece, Nelvia - it is super!
hmuxo said…
Gender isn’t important Nelvia! This is fantastic!!!!!
Sheila said…
I saw woman. But can see both after reading your post. I like it as is, think it is perfect ;) Awesome work!!
Jane said…
A fantastic weathered face, my first thought was that it was a woman , but looking again I saw a man . In any case , wonderful portrait !

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait