Sketchbook Charcoal drawing little boy




I just want to say I appreciate all the comments, I have been trying to figure out why I have lost the ability to give reply comments.  I just have not found the solution at all - tried many different things and hope that I will accidentally hit on what caused me to stop being able to comment.   I think it is tied into disqus and I have asked them to take me off but still hadn't made any difference.  So bear with me please and I will either comment on your posts or send you a DM.  

After a horrendous day yesterday, two very failed attempts - guess it was just an off day - I approached the studio hoping to do something that resembled a portrait drawing.   Do you ever have those kinds of days where you just can't seem to do anything right.  I end up asking myself if I have ever put pencil to paper before.

 I found this photo reference and thought he was one of the prettiest and most unusual looking boys I had ever seen.  Saw that wonderful curly hair, the little bow lips and well, just had to go for it.  I have been trying to incorporate using the proportional divider in my drawings.  Not always sure but think in this case I got closer to a likeness than I might have just doing it freehand.  This is primarily charcoal that I added just a hint of color to the cheeks and lip areas.

I am thinking the problem here is the nose - I think it is too long and isn't tilted up enough?   Oops, I see the tilt on the eyes is too much too.  Your thoughts??  Now that I keep looking at it heck, just tell me if you think there is anything on this drawing that might be correct.

Thanks much for stopping by.

Comments

carol edan said…
You caught his spirit. That's the most important thing!
He is darling. I am sure there are things that are a bit 'off' but, overall you did a great job. As for the comment thing; I swear they keep changing things that work just fine until they don't work at all. - so annoying! Have a great day Nelvia.
Joan Tavolott said…
This is so precious!!! You captured that look of wonder on his face!
Sheila said…
His nose is a little off yes, and his ear is too big. But Nelvia, if you had not mentioned it I would not have noticed. It is a perfectly sweet capture. And true to the original. Very dear :)

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo