Sketchbook Charcoal Drawing Woman's portrait



Well, what a week are having in that Southern state - Georgia: 
first we are having Jan-Feb temperatures, have had since the end of October, this is Georgia, not Illinois or Wisconsin.  Not demeaning those states, but it is supposed to be cold there, they are North
second, we have had sleet, ice, snow, almost 5" in rain and flooding in Georgia???  Oh yeah, it starts raining again tomorrow.  So, lots of gray, gray, gray in my life
third, whilst minding our own business, asleep in our beds, just waiting and hoping Santa will come, we have at 4:14am am 4.4 earthquake complete with aftershocks - again I remind you this is Georgia, not California!!  My opinion it is all the rain, unsettles the bedrock

Yes, this definitely is becoming a crazy world.  Finally, I got to slip into the art room, with a better attitude and do something.  Been so much going on that I haven't had the time or in some ways the inclination to do anything artful.  But got some spectacular test results now so hoping we can go back to our dull boring life for a while.

One of my new year's resolutions - I know it isn't January yet, but I am wanting to get more involved again with a sketchbook for both portraits and figure drawing.  I used to spend lots of time, in many places, with it and have let it go.  I think it is part of getting ready to make the most of my course which will start in January.  Anyway, one medium I haven't really utilized is charcoal - it is pretty  much like pastel so not too much new to learn.  I have several different types of charcoal from vine, to sticks to pencils, so think I am going to try to use them more in my sketchbook.  Might even be able to successfully add punches of pastel color to the gray tones.

I loved the hair in this one, and was very pleased with the results on the face - actually used a piece of dollar store chamois, and then held my breath when I put the hair strands blowing over it.  

Anyway, thanks for stopping by all.

Comments

Helen said…
Wow... really nice. Nelvia, you are just getting better and better and better.
hmuxo said…
Her hair is beautiful Nelvia!! I also love the way you painted her eyes!!! I agree with Helen you’re getting better with every portrait you do! I tried painting with the charcoal vines and have a bit of a problem holding the darn thing...slipping through my fingers, however I love the effects! We haven’t had crazy snowy weather yet which is SO unusual for LI,NY!!!! It’s all in the South which is crazy!!! Global warming???
carol edan said…
Beautiful portrait! Hope you get some sunny warm weather!
Sounds like life is giving you quite a ride Nelvia - I hope things improve. This is a super sketch and you did a fabulous job on the skin and the hair. I haven't used charcoal for ages - maybe I should get back to it although there are so many other things I want to try - sigh! Have a great weekend.
Joan Tavolott said…
This is lovely! I really like the texture and movement you have in her hair...and the shading on the contours of her face is perfect. Glad to hear you got some good test results. Hopefully the weather has improved by now. Enjoy your weekend!
Sheila said…
Oh Nelvia... she is beautiful! Love here hair. I always loved drawing hair. LOL. Her eyes really pull me in. You excel at that. Wow, your weather is right out of a B movie. Ha ha. Not funny. Didn't hear about the earthquake! It is weird to be having them in all these "new" places. So glad for your great news, and a bit of a break. Woo whoo! Hallelujah Amen for that!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo