Castaway oil/cold wax experiment

Castaway

Preliminary sketch

Well this is my first result with the oil/cold wax technique.  I haven't painted that much in oils and while it is similar it is definitely different.   It is like painting with butter and does made the oil quite a bit more opaque.  This technique is from my online lessons, I had heard about cold wax, thought about it, but hadn't done anything about it.  So this pushed me to go there.   I have heard this described as somewhere between encaustic and oil painting.

Let's talk first about the title - why Castaway.  I watch So You Think You Can dance most seasons.  I am fascinated at how coordinated, lithe and flexible these people are.   However, it makes me think of Broadway, live theatrical, music or singing performances to note just how many talented people there are in this world.  But, unfortunately most of them don't ever get discovered.  When I watch the dance show it also makes me think of athletes and how fleeting their span is to actually do what it took years to develop their skills.  Hence when I saw this photo I thought of rejection - she is cast away - and yep, it does help me cover yet another challenge week.  I am still desperately behind.

The preliminary sketch is mostly charcoal, but I wanted to add some color, so did so in the form of pastel, some color pencil and a bit of graphite.  I didn't add acrylic as most say the two aren't compatible.  But I am pretty sure I will give it a try, at least doing an underpainting in acrylic and then covering with a clear coat of wax.  Was a bit scary when I added the wax, and I realize I am going to have to put more than 2 coats of fixative on it to really make sure I don't move any of the under layers.  After that clear layer of wax goes on then you can add color.  The more layers you add makes the lights get darker and the darker gets lighter - go figure.  You can use scrapers, credit cards - palette knives.  Since I wanted to put wax paint color in certain areas I used palette knife.  I do have an abstract where I applied the oil/wax with scrapers and will post that soon.

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking a look.   Will submit and see what the teacher thinks.



Comments

Sheila said…
Love the light. And your fearlessness! She may be cast aside, but she is still graceful, regal, and ... tomorrow is another day ;) LOL.
This is not one of my favourites - I liked the prelim better. This technique sounds like a real challenge to perfect. I do like the story of the subject. Way to go Nelvia!
Joan Tavolott said…
What gives it the powdery while look? It is an interesting technique but I think it detracts too much from the preliminary sketch. I have no experience working with wax on anything except a batik so I am not sure what the wax is supposed to do. I love that you keep experimenting so much!
hmuxo said…
This is wonderful Nelvia. The preliminary sketch is good, however, the texture and colors on the finished piece is outstanding... L O V E it.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo