Cheetah Sketch

The other day I suggested you might check out wetcanvas.com, I was going to do that to check out info on drawing feathers and didn't find much that would help me with Pink.   Well I took my own advice and ended up finding a thread on drawing wildlife with charcoal and chalk, check Drawing and Sketching/The Classroom/Basic 102: Wildlife in charcoal ad chalk.  Well after 17 pages of conversation and people posting pictures, I got charged up and came up and drew up this sketch in about an hour and a half.  What I wanted to accomplish with this sketch:
1)  Measure, since this is a portrait I measured, using my handy dandy ruler to get not only spacing, but size and angles.  This part probably took me about 30 minutes, but felt comfortable with my base
2)  Limited palette of:  vine charcoal, General white charcoal pencil, orange-ish light dark pastel (all my pastels are arranged by values) and 2H and 9XXB graphite pencils (seems like I always have to get graphite in there somewhere these days)
3)  Wanted to get a quick sketch practice in and just had to add the orange color to make it more realistic
Liking the results and looseness and the fun of just putting something on paper
Thanks for stopping by and hoping you are having a good painting week.

Comments

I really like this sketch .
Well done!
Jane said…
You draw / paint the most amazing eyes , they immediately strike you ! Also the fur is great ,such wonders can be created even with a limited palette !
hmuxo said…
Excellent sketch...!!!
Nelvia said…
I am going to,have to get charged up with WetCanvas more often. Fun to do something without regard for result.
Nelvia said…
Wow, thank you Jane, high praise coming from the blue-eyed girl. Next project from WetCanvas is to do more sketching, especially from life and outside. Started this year with that goal,and lost it somewhere.
Nelvia said…
Thanks much Hilda, glad you like it. According to them that know charcoal is forgiving, haven't used it much so going to keep working with it.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo