Poppy Twins

Just an awesome beautiful morning here in Georgia - had some rain, finally, and a cold front pushed through 45 degrees this morning!!!   

Sorry the picture quality that isn't that good, but my camera battery was dying on me and I auto adjusted the pics since the shutter speed was sloooooow and they were kind of fuzzy.  They aren't quite this orange in real life and I kind of have angles and a bit of glare as wanted to show the sides.  Am thinking this might be the first of several I try to do that would be in the 6"x6" wrapped canvas with acrylic.
                                                                              I have been looking for an alternative to get to a lower price point.  Since most of what I have done previously has been on paper, it is hard to hit a lower price point as you have to absorb the cost of matting and framing.  (Personally I think framing costs are way expensive and cheapest I can come up with for a decent size, 11x14, is $50.  I think the customer doesn't know how much framing costs really are, unless you sell them matted only and they have to frame.   Also if I sold online I wanted something more finished that didn't have glass or acrylic to break).                                                      

So the obvious solution was to try canvas (something I have very little experience with) and thought why not the wrapped that would give a nice finished side.                  

Ah, but alas, this adds another whole new dimension in composition, getting the picture so that it makes sense on the sides.   First thing I tried was my pool balls (remember the ACEOs below), well nothing quite so funky as when you try to put a round object on a sharp square edge.   I guess you could just paint the top and do the sides in a solid color, but seems too easy.   So here is Poppy Twins, my first go at a wrapped canvas acrylic piece.
Since most of what I have done previously has been on paper, it is hard to hit a lower price point as you have to absorb the cost of matting and framing.  (Personally I think framing costs are way expensive and cheapest I can come up with for a decent size, 11x14, is $50.  I think the customer doesn't know how much framing costs and only looks at the selling price.  Unless you sell them matted only you incur the cost, and if I sold online I wanted something more finished that didn't have glass or acrylic to break).  So the obvious idea was to try canvas, something I have very little experience with, and thought why not the wrapped that would give a nice finished side.                   Ah, but alas, this adds another whole new dimension in getting the picture so that the composition on the sides makes sense with the top.   First thing I tried was my pool balls (remember the ACEOs) Nothing quite so funky as when you try to put a round object on a sharp square edge.   I guess you could just paint the top and do the sides in a solid color, but seems too easy. 

My art group is having a November show of small paintings targeting Christmas sales I think, so they wanted lower price points.  Was thinking with what I have in this (costs for paint, canvas and hanger plus the 20% gallery fee,  I would ask about $75 (Could I get away with asking $100 and still sell a 6"x6" piece).  Of course it's not going to break even for the time spent, but I had a good time and loved the brilliant reds/oranges of the poppies and pushing the paint around is kind of theraputic. 
Thanks for stopping by and hope you had a wonderful weekend and have a good painting week.

Comments

hmuxo said…
These poppies are painted beautifully, Nelvia!! Good luck with your show in November!!
Jane said…
Your poppies are gorgeous and I love how you painted them on the side ! Wish you a great week.
Nancy Goldman said…
These poppies are beautiful and I really like gallery wrapped canvases. I think they give a nice, contemporary look and it's great for art collectors since there isn't a frame cost. Good luck with the show.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo