Break Dancing street performer acrylic portrait

                                                                 Break Dancer
                                                                    14"x11"
                                                                   Acrylic
Well we don't watch much on our tv but PBS, sports and weather - can you tell there is a guy in the house?   But I have to admit that I am a fan and either insist on watching or tape So You Think You Can Dance.  Comes from wishing as a kid I could dance, but alas you needed coordination.  Anyway they are the inspiration for the dancers I want to add to this series.

I guess I am changing my series name to street performers because I really want to include some really cool dancers that I have found.  I still want to try to keep to this looser way of painting and really comes down to just mark making.  It is a ton of fun and I am not really finding it stressful at all.  I want to keep on just getting out of the way and letting the brush go. I do have to admit though that I am doing a lot of thinking before I ever pick up the brush and it seems that it is there is clarity in my mind and then it just really comes out quickly.  These backgrounds really are what is taking the most time on these paintings because there is a lot of paint on them and it is really necessary to be sure they are dry before I try to add my subject layers.

I knew there would be a lot of water on this one so I switched back to using mat board.  I can always put the board between two glass pieces and it will help to unbuckle it.  Now that I confirmed the background technique I will probably try another one on the canvas board.    I want it liquid but I don't want it to move so much I immediately lose the motions I like.

Hope you enjoy this as much as the street musicians, feel the beat and movement, so much energy in this one!!  Thanks much for stopping by.

Comments

hmuxo said…
Excellent work Nelvia! Amazing texture in the background and yes I feel the energy!
Such an interesting painting! I love it!
Nancy Goldman said…
Wow! I've been away from looking at blogs for too long. I would never have thought that this was done by you because the style is so different, but I really love it. I can't wait to scroll down through your blog to see what else you've be doing.
Unknown said…
What a great composition! We not only feel the dancer's incredible energy but we can share his sense of marvelous space that he occupies while he moves his body to the music. Since I moved to Spain the only show I miss not seeing is So You Think You Can Dance! please do more dancers so I can vicariously experience it;)
Nelvia said…
This is the easiest but scariest background as you never know how it is going end up, but I sure like the effect and then to figure out what to use with it is all,part of the fun
Nelvia said…
Thanks Brenda for coming to check it out, much appreciate the comment. Very new direction for me.
Nelvia said…
Hi Nancy, yah I know it is a bit far fetched, but a. Letting go,and this is what is coming out. Glad you are doing well
Nelvia said…
Next week is the final and they have really four marvelous dancers. I chuckle because my hubby would never understand what you see, but then he is an engineer so I cut him a break!!
This is great Nelvia! I can definitely feel the movement. I can relate to the problems with fluid backgrounds but this turned out very well. Keep 'em coming!
Joan Tavolott said…
I love the energy and movement in this. I like the idea of a series that includes dancers, and a street performer is such a great subject. Nicely done!
Jane said…
A fabulous piece, the movement of the dancer is so greatly accentuated with the background !

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo