The Leap acrylic dancer portrait

                                                                     The Leap
                                                                       9"x12"
                                                                      Acrylic
Well as they say all good things probably come to an end.  My roll, because that is what it has been, has come to an abrupt stop.  I hit the piano picture and came to a screeching halt.  It just doesn't have any life and I haven't figured out yet how to go about trying to salvage it.  I have ideas, but ...

I have been studying drawing the figure and there was much about the fluid flow of the lines of this piece that caught my attention, as well as the way the head is held.   I really liked the pose in this one.   So  while I am trying to figure out what to do with my unhappy picture I decided to try combining transparent washes with opaque again.   It was a black and white picture and I always think it is fun to try to colorize them.   So I worked in mostly white and grays and added the pop of color with phthalo green washes, I also added phthalo green along with black into the background, so in real life it kind of is a dark green background.  I didn't varnish this, but might after it has thoroughly dried as I think it would really help the colors pop.

Thanks much for taking a look.

Comments

Helen said…
There are so many beautiful things about this!
... the gorgeous color of the skirt...
... the pose of the dancer...
... the hair that flows down and fades into the background...
Very, very nice!
Joan Tavolott said…
Wonderful job on the dancer's pose...she looks so fluid! Well done!
hmuxo said…
Nice work Nelvia!! I like her pose...
Totally cool! A super job on this piece Nelvia. I think you have captured the movement perfectly.
laurelle said…
This is an extremely challenging composition, Nelvia. You achieved the drama and energy of that moment of the dancer. The next one you will know what to do even more...this whole month for me has been an education.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo