The Guitar Weeps acrylic street musician portrait

                                                                The Guitar Weeps
                                                                        12"x16"
                                                                        Acrylic

This is the fifth in my street musicians series.  While this isn't a true drip painting it is a quasi drip and ties in with the title of the piece.  I did this background one day and had to let it dry because there was a lot of really liquid paint on it.   I had several subjects in mind, couldn't make up my mind which could go best with the light colors, so sat on it for a couple of days.  I just decided this morning he was the one to go with and because I spent so much time thinking about this piece he really wanted to come out onto the canvas and was out and done in about two hours.    It is the craziest thing right now with this series, just get out of the way and let the brush operate.

I really liked the angle of his head and wanted to take on that challenge with just marks.  I wanted to get loose again and decided at the end to add the splash of yellow and the graffiti to give it more street jive.    The graffiti is a great motto for this wild world we now live in.  

Again this background is one on an old painting, this is another piece of canvas board, and started out life as a kind of marbleized look and then I dragged the streaks in with a credit card.  Unfortunately because it was so runny I lost some of the first effects as they got blended out.  Still haven't figured out how to control the really liquid paint yet.

I knew I liked the title about the weeping guitar, and the inspiration is George Harrison's My Guitar Gently Weeps.  I am sure this guy can't play it or if he does, not nearly as well as George did, but Prince did a pretty darn good job of it.  This musician is from pixabay and the guy is quite striking as he has white/gray streaks in his hair.  I didn't want him quite so recognizable so I added some fuchsia instead.    To be honest I am not really sure he is actually playing so much as point with this guitar.  But, it got the job done.

Thanks much for taking a look.

Comments

Joan Tavolott said…
This one has a lot of emotion. Every one of these has been great! I like the interesting background and his stance.
Sheila said…
Really cool Nelvia :) The soft drips are perfect, feels as if the weeping has gone on for some time.
hmuxo said…
Love the drips and beautiful painting....
You did a great job with this one too Nelvia. The musician really stands out against the lighter background which makes the whole thing very strong.
Jane said…
'While my guitar gently weeps...' as goes in the Beatles song. Love the pose and the emotion .
Nancy Goldman said…
I looked back through your blog and really love your street people series. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo