Experimenting Again

Many thanks to my blogger friend of many years, Nancy Goldman.  She is a brilliant artist in many mediums ranging from acrylics to encaustics.  Yep she uses the blow torch like a pro.  If interested see her many beautiful pictures at http://nancygoldmanart.blogspot.com.

As mentioned previously I really have been in the doldrums and couldn't started painting again after my Thanksgiving break.  Nancy however just completed an 18 canvas wall mural depicting a landscape.  She posted it on her blog and it is quite awesome and got me wondering and feeling that underlying excitement.  Nancy was so helpful in outlining her process.  Well spent the weekend trying to just find a picture I wanted to paint, as this would be a substantial size, so you got to like it.  Then next step is to try to decide how to break it into several parts.  But, of course ended up using something I was going to do and already had the drawing in place, and now just to get the canvases that I need.  So will probably be working both of these in tandum

So while waiting, mean thinking, I took the plunge and decided to cut my hardboard and try a simpler  divided piece of this tiger.  Gave me the option to do it in an unusual manner and shape that I couldn't do with canvas.  There is a third section for the left ear that isn't shown here.  Anyway got the boards cut, using a utility knife, no saw needed - no fingers involved this time - and had to do a bit of an adjustment already, but have got it started and it is good to be painting again.  Have to say that this surface does take paint in a different manner and the super smooth surface does seem to lend itself to details.

Once I cut the boards, I gessoed the back (textured side) so that it would be more waterproof.  Sanded the front, to get tooth for paint to stick to, (smooth) side.   Because it absorbs the paint now that i broke the surface, I painted it with clear gesso.  I could still see my drawing underneath for reference.  so now I am in process of doing underpainting and then painting fur on top, also using the board color itself as a mid tone for the caramel fur.   We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for stopping by.

Comments

Helen said…
Cannot wait to see...
This sounds so interesting, Nelvia and I look forward to seeing more as you continue the work. Glad to hear that your doldrums seem to be over.
Joan Tavolott said…
Interesting process. Thanks for showing us what you are doing. I'll be watching for the progress of this.
Nancy Goldman said…
I'm finally catching up on looking at blogs and I'm glad to see that you are tackling this project. I hope it's as much fun for you as it is for me.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo