Pow Wow


                                                                   Pow Wow
                                                                     8"x12"
                                                                      Pastel

You can say a lot of things about the internet, many bad, but, I have learned so much from so many sharing artists across the world.  No way would I ever have tried some of things I have.  Yep, another experiment on yet another gray and "wants to" rainy day.

Needed a break from my tiger, so this time I am trying to figure out Ivan Hoo's, an incredibly brilliant artist from Singapore, pastel techniques.  I found him on instagram and have now have looked at his Facebook page and Youtube videos.  He is self-taught and does hyper-realistic portraits,  mainly of animals.  He started using pan/pencil pastels on wood and then has switched to MDF.  So, of course because I have some hardboard  handy ... well, you know - just gotta try it.   Have two pieces that I cut off from the tiger I am working on so figured I would give it a try.  Best I can tell Ivan was putting pan pastels and pastel pencils right on the board with no preparation.  But, after having done it once I think I will use the clear gesso so that it has some more tooth.  The really hard pastel colors didn't want to stick to the board, just wanted to scrape across it and then that damaged the surface.  So will give it another try and see how that goes.

I have always been fascinated with traditions and  traditional garb of Native Americans.  There really aren't a lot of copy right free reference pics out there, but I did find a number of shots from a pow wow and that is where this one came from.  While he isn't actually in a strongly moving pose, I do think that the fringe conveys motion, and as you know that is another quest I have been on recently.  This gave me a break from my other projects and was something I could complete pretty much in a few hours.  I think I would really like to apply several more layers but hit the wall without any surface prep.

Thanks much for stopping by.

Comments

Joan Tavolott said…
You captured the motion with the fringe nicely. You have such beautiful colors and shading both in the figure and in the background. Very nice!!!
Sheila said…
I showed my friends (Native Americans)in San Diego your previous Native American piece. They told me that you are not supposed to take photos at the Pow Wow's and Gatherings. You have to ask permission. So that is the reason for so few on the internet.
LOVE the background on this. And you are right, the fringe is moving, LOL. But I think he needs a bit more definition on his right arm. So it looks more separate from his back.
Awesome work Nelvia :)
Well done Nelvia, especially for just a few hours work. You may not be 100% happy with your surface but it seems to have done the job. A super piece!
Jane said…
This made me smile, what a great painting !! You are such an inspiration !

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait