Blue Moon mixed media portrait

Blue Moon

This week's lesson was the first in mixed media.  However, I took some editorial license as I had also been watching a video where it started with a grisaille, then acrylic and finally oil was used as the final layer.  So of course I needed to try it out.  This was different as I did use the shadowed griasille as a guide but actually did put flesh tone colors over all sections once I got to the oil stage.  I got to admit that the oil is so creamy and blends so well.   Makes me shake my head at watercolor.

I also wanted to work in a very limited palette of cad red light, cal yellow and prussian blue.  That is one of the reason I have some unusual hair and skin tone colors.  Actually the base of the hair is kind of a celadon color.

One thing I did also since this was done in my sketchbook, was to take several pages and tape them together, making a sort-of block and it really did help the page not to buckle so much.   I have upgraded to a mixed media sketchbook, pages are a bit thicker than dry media sketchbooks, and as long as I don't put too much water on it seems to be able to take it.   Will be interesting now to see if the tape comes off without tearing the paper.  Trick will probably be to take it off sooner than later.

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look

Comments

carol edan said…
Interesting approach! Lovely portrait! I love the colors!
Sheila said…
Had to look that one up. I am learning a lot from your class Nelvia. ;) Yes I see green in her hair, after I read the post. It completely works as blond. At night. In the light of the moon. I instantly felt the wind, and heard it as well. Wonderful. Clapping hands for you! :)
This is lovely Nelvia. An interesting choice of colours but I think you pulled it off, especially her skin. Well done!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo