Shy mixed media portrait

Shy original size
Cropped to just portrait
The inspiration for this picture was that I was thinking of my friend instagram friend, Dyahtrin, who has been hospitalized.  

Got to say, I am not really sure what I have here.  I had this sheet of fuchsia/pink background, think I cleaned my palette on it.  Even though it was taped when I did it, the paper really buckled.  So I tried to reflatten it out and it did a little.  So I decided I would use it for this piece, add some collage and other mixed media to see what I would get.

I found another reference that had a lot of fuchsia in the jewelry, but then saw this and liked the reference and the way the woman's gaze was directed.   But, after I placed the woman I began to worry that it was going to look like it was two different pictures.  I am not sure that the teal strip on the left side is enough to tie it together.  I did a little research on Indian paintings to see what was included and many have the Lotus, so since that makes me think of serenity I thought it should go into the composition.

Primarily what I have here is acrylic.  But my experiment, cause you know I always have to do one, is that the face and hand are overpainted with oil pastel.  Got to say I was a bit worried about how to do all the jewelry and the fabric design.   But just sort of got started and had a bit of fun.   It was pretty fussy and I just tried to add a dab here or there and see if it would give me an impression of details.  Not real sure that the sequin-look successfully made it.

So what do you think -   entire  picture or just the portrait

Included the original reference because I know some of you like to see what I started with.  thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.

Reference

Comments

Sheila said…
Love it Nelvia! My first impression was that it was a huge mural. And that she had lots of shiny doo-dads on. YES! The sequins read well. I love what I see as reflections in water above her. As if she is in front of a lake or pond, and beyond that is a fabulous ornate building. I love both, alone and together. Seems sad to not include your wonderful bloom. Maybe, if it bothers you... add a bit of bling on the left. That small patch of blue at the bottom, sort of reads as a shoulder. You could add a bit of sequin there, a hint. Or maybe a bit of bokeh over part of the magenta. Just a hint. I love this though. Love her gaze, the details, the colors. And that top, reflection area keeps pulling me back. :)
Wow! Fabulous work on the girl, Nelvia. My first thought was ; definitely two pictures. But, if you want to change the large one, I would suggest another flower close to the centre where her shoulder would be and to fade out the pink line on the top so it blends in with what Sheila calls the reflection. Either way the work is great.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo