Just watching mixed media wolf portrait

Just Watching
Well a couple of days without painting, and I get kind of antsy.  We have had the most beautiful weather in Georgia for the past few days.  So you just had to be outside to really enjoy it.  Yesterday we took a drive and were in 3 states, doing the Cherahola Skyway.

But, I wanted to see if I could incorporate some of the techniques I have learned into doing something other than a portrait.   Ok, technically this is a portrait, but it is an animal.  I haven't done an animal portrait in sooooooo long, I wondered if I could remember.

Anyway, of course I had to add more pops of color, so I took the original photo and really saturated it again in the photo program.   It came up with the blues, but feel it  needed more, so and added a bit more of the purples and yellows.  

I started with an "underpants", shown below, (yes this is a technical collage term - I didn't make it up) collaging tissue paper that I had made myself and the other half of the used coffee filter.  At that point I really liked the look of the collage and I could see the wolf pretty clearly.  

Actually I wish I would have stopped when I got the wolf painted in and left the coffee filter as the background, and the rocks just in the tissue paper, but I didn't, so be it.

I really couldn't come up with a good name for this painting, so if you have ideas - let me know.

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.


Comments

Helen said…
Always love when you do animals!
carol edan said…
Love the spontaneity! Love his eyes!
Sheila said…
I love this, perfect as is ;) Beautiful colors, wonderful fur, and those penetrating Nelvia eyes! ;)
hmuxo said…
Beautiful colors in this piece...and of course, beautiful work on his eyes....
Fabulous!!! I really like the contrast of the orange tones in the background with the wolf and think just leaving the coffee filter would have been a mistake. I do agree about the rocks in the foreground though - they are just a bit too strong as they are although they do give a base for the wolf. Great job Nelvia!
Joan Tavolott said…
Love the rusts and the blues!! This is so great! You obviously remembered how to do an animal portraits. Well done!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo