Mother Nature abstract figure

Mother Nature
Well this week's lesson was a doozy, packed full of so much by a master artist, Cathrine Edlinger-Kunze . She is a spectacular artist who does abstract figurative paintings. The goal here was to create an abstract beginning. Then you need to visualize the figure or portrait that would go into it. Yes, I forgot to just take a picture of the abstract itself, so you got it when I had already started filling it in.

I have done pictures like this previously, but setting out to do it this time was a bit scary.  I had this reference picture that I have been hanging onto, knowing I would do her some time.  I wanted to call it Mother Nature - or maybe is should be Esmeralda?  Anyway, maybe she isn't old enough to be Mother Nature.  

But anyway, when I saw the picture I liked the idea of the swing and couldn't really come up with a background that could be nature.  But here with the drips I think it can pass for either sun, sky, trees, or creek flowing to the background - ok, ok, maybe I am reaching here.

Anyway, I know I will be trying to do this again.  Need to rewatch the 6 videos as she gives color recipes, brushwork tips, she also corrects with charcoal adding it into the painting itself.  

Thanks much for taking a look.


Abstract background

Comments

Joan Tavolott said…
It amazes me that you could have a figure that you want to do and figure out that it would work well with an abstract background and a swing...what a great idea. Your mind is definitely more creative than mine. I love the background with the drips and the flow of colors! Lovely!!
carol edan said…
Love the background! Wow those drips! Who says "mother nature" has to be old?
This is fabulous Nelvia! I think the background works well with the theme and Mother Nature is ageless - lol
Sheila said…
I think it is great Nelvia! Trees moving in the wind, water, sky, earth. It is busy, but not overwhelming. Mother Nature has a lot to watch over right?! And if she is eternal, only fair to let her stay on the young side! LOL :) Love the movement and variation in her skirt. She is at rest here, but it is sort of a metaphor for her perpetual work. Haha, Maybe I am reaching too.) You don't say, but I am guessing this is watercolor. Or part of it. If you do try again, remember you can use acrylics like watercolor. Thin them a bit. That might give you more options. You won't have to worry about lifting the acrylic layers. But you know that :) Have fun my friend!
Helen said…
That green dress is just... delicious!
hmuxo said…
this is finished beautifully, Nelvia. Awesome background... and it almost looks 3-D .. she's perfect...

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo