'Tude acrylic woman portrait

'Tude
This is an acrylic, 14"x18", a bit larger than I normally work.  This is actually based on last week's
lesson where Kara painted her daughter.  Since I don't have a daughter, what I got out of the lesson was she paints rather "unfinished" and her teenage daughter had a bit of an attitude in her reference photo.  The other challenge was to paint a full figure, well I got most of one.   That is the main reason I needed to paint in a larger format.  Kara painted her 4'+, so I am still really tiny.

I really like this reference, the direct gaze, her more sophisticated makeup against the really casual leggings and hoodie.  I have to tell you my heart stops when I put paint across the more finished sections and had to go back in and add some pastel to get a bit more action.  

As I got lower on the paper I tried to finish it less, just give the impressions, because I really want the focus on the face.  In case you are wondering at the streaks in her face I did a new background on an older painting that was on top of another painting.   I used a credit card and see I left some paint buildup.  

This week the lesson is doing a portrait on a quilt.  Will read the process, but not really sure I will go through it.  I can't imagine my mug on a bed - but for a child's room I bet that is a pretty neat thing.

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.

Comments

Sheila said…
Love her Nelvia! The unfinished, vibrant background, the casual pose, the palette. She is beautiful, and her hand is so well done. You have rocked another lesson!! LOVE :)
Helen said…
I love the blotchy background. You always do that so well. Great job on the attitude showing through. You also did such good job with the white. Sometimes I really struggle with getting white to be white... there's so much not-white in white...
Wow! What a great job Nelvia! The sketchiness of the background is the perfect foil for her smooth elegant face. I am not too sure about the rest of her as I don''t really see it as loose but I did have a bit of trouble 'reading' it. I admire your steadfastness in doing these paintings
Joan Tavolott said…
I love your handling of her figure and face, as well as the interesting abstract background. Another amazing piece!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo