Flower Maiden Pen/Ink Drawing woman portrait

Flower Maiden
I have a tendency to be slow to try new things, especially those that I think are difficult or scare me.  That is one of the reasons I wanted to take my portrait course this year as I thought that it might help get me out of a rut.  So off to do another pen portrait and felt a lot more comfortable this time around.  In fact, took a few more liberties.  I have really enjoyed working in mixed media, and this is another example.  

I was pleased with the result of the pen drawing I did for my second week's lesson.  So decided to do another portrait using that technique, two pens in the initial layer, but not on the face itself.  I added additional colors of ballpoint inks and took off.  I did end up at the end and added a bit of pastel to try to help some of the transition areas between where I have ink strokes going onto the white paper.  Just not able to get pen light enough that I don't see the end points if I am blending back into the white of the paper.  I really like how the pastel and the inks work together and think I will continue to try a few more of these.   Also would like to try an animal and see how that works out building up the texture.  

The biggest challenge in this piece was the hair spirals, still not sure I have the right technique on them but they sort of look like they are coming out at correct angles.  

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.

Comments

carol edan said…
Absolutely exquisite! Think next year I will take the portrait course! Really looks challenging!
Joan Tavolott said…
This is so soft and tender!!! Beautiful! I like the way the pen and the pastel are working together!
Sheila said…
I love how her soft curls balance the strength in her face :) Wonderful work Nelvia!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo