So Big acrylic little boy

So Big
Ok, got off the snide here and actually did some painting.  This reference photo, when I saw it,  reminded me of when I was little and wanted to be bigger.  Seemed like there was always something I couldn't do because I was little.    Did your parents have a door jam that they measured your growth on?

This picture was inspired by a video by Cinnamon Clooney, she is painting some tribute pictures to Holly Hobbie.   Hers are all little girls in those straw hats.  While I always learn sometihng I don't like to do a piece exactly the same way, but will look for a reference where I can incorporate what I learned, but still have it be my piece.  So was a perfect way to combine doing a fun little piece.  

I also realize how far my art journey has come because I now don't hesitate if I have an incomplete photo reference.  I had to find an image of hands to add as the photographer from PMP actually cut the photo off at the elbows.  Where that used to throw me, now I just adapt!!   Also, I realize that there are really few references of people with their backs to the camera.  

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.




Comments

Sheila said…
Beautiful work Nelvia! I love all the wrinkles and the reaching hands, and your wonderfully loose background. The fence and the grass are perfectly real :) Bravo :)
laurelle said…
A charming composition, Nelvia...love the bits of color in the grass, the way you rendered the folds of his clothing. I concur on your feeling of pride for feeling confident enough in your artistic journey to go beyond the photo reference...now the possibilities are truly limitless.
Jane said…
Love this sweet subject, and your work on the hands is just perfect !
hmuxo said…
This is so adorable Nelvia. It would be perfect in a child’s room!
Well done Nelvia! This is a charming piece and, congrats on going beyond your reference.
Joan Tavolott said…
Your painting really made me smile. I'm sure it tells a special story to each of us depending on our memories. This came out really nice!! I like that you were able to add what you wanted to make the painting work better for you. Bravo!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo