The Dance flamingo oil pastel study

The Dance
Since it is freezing cold outside and my tendinitis is acting up it is a good day to stay inside.  For days now, I have been trying to clean and organize my art space, and, of course am turning up all kinds of things I didn't remember having, or just don't use.   Such is the case with the  materials used in this study.   It is a combination of color pencil, gelatos (sadly, not the ice cream kind) and oil pastels.  Funny, I have used and loved soft pastels for years.  I think maybe I have tried the oil pastels a couple of times, but for some reason it just never took. 

After working with the oil today, I really like the creamy texture of them, but you just can't get sharp detail.   And, maybe that is a good thing and the point of it all.  You just can't get bogged down.  

When I saw the reference photo I really was attracted to the wonderful neck shapes and the unusual orange colors on these flamingos.   They say the color depends on what they eat, so I guess you could identify just where these guys are if you are flamingo savvy.  

I wasn't really sure what I was going to do, actually was thinking of trying the double-handed pen thing again.   But then I thought I needed that dark background so why not black paper.  Then it was a matter of what the heck will show up on black paper?  Started with color pencil, but it isn't really vibrant, the black knocks it down.  So on top of that I started adding the oil pastels because I wanted color depth and vibrancy and wasn't sure soft pastel would get me there.   Before I got done I felt I really had to be aggressive with the marks of oil pastels to get the highlight and color hits that this picture calls for.

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.

Comments

Joan Tavolott said…
I've never had luck with oil pastels, but you seem to have found your way with them. They look great against the black paper. Nicely done!!
Sheila said…
Lovely work. I have never had luck with oil pastels myself. Didn't stick with it long enough I guess. They look fabulous here Nelvia! Happy cleaning to you ;)
laurelle said…
I can see why you chose this reference, and you captured their dance so beautifully. It's good to try different media once in a while. The experience itself makes going back to your usual medium seem fresher and new.
hmuxo said…
Oil pastels is a difficult medium...I prefer my regular pastels but I think using them often would make it easier... I never understand how you can blend with them. I blog with Connie Chadwell who works beautifully with oil pastels. Her figurative paintings of dancers are amazing and one of my favorites.
Beautiful work with your flamingos....!!!!
This certainly seems like it was a challenge but I think you pulled it off really well. Super colours and subject, Nelvia.
Nelvia said…
I have a couple of brands, some are really nice/soft/creamy and the others so dry and don't want to blend. Not sure if they have just dried out, don't know how many years I have had them hidden away.
Nelvia said…
I guess practice is true for anything, but don't know if I'll stick with them either.
Nelvia said…
You always learn something from one media to bring to another it seems.
Nelvia said…
I am going to find the time to look at some videos, and maybe try some paint swatches with them before I throw them out!! Will check out Connie, am sure she will inspire me to try again.
Nelvia said…
They do have really bright colors, so worth working with them a bit longer.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo