Lesson 6 The Experiment Continues

The saga continues.   I tried again to really do this lesson with watercolor and colored pencil.  What I discovered, or should I say confirmed, is that with watercolor I am really good at making at making mud - as a matter of fact, I seem to excel at it.  All I can say is it is wonderful to be really good at something.   However, we got a whole segment coming up on watercolor so guess that will be a lot of weeks of pain.  So, for those of you that really do watercolor and do it well, you have my undying admiration!!

Anyway, I used acrylic on a cheap watercolor paper, got to try it on hot press to see if I get improved results.  This time I build up the layers slowly, but still get the harder edges.   And also got a lot of buckling.   Wet the back and pressed it for a while hoping it would unbuckle enough to get a picture.

Had another GIMP adventure using this piece.   Learned how to scale and adjust color using the curves - so little by little it is coming together.

Not sure what else I will work on, but am going to give this poor girl a bit of a rest.

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.

Comments

Joan Tavolott said…
I don't see any mud anywhere. Your paper looks more textured than the watercolor paper I use. I like the blending in her dress and her skin tones. I have a hard time mixing colors for skin tones, especially for darker skin. You seem to have it under control and have found nice colors for the shadows. I think you are much too critical of your work.
carol edan said…
Beautiful! I personally do not like acrylics because they dry so fast and can't get the soft edges.
You did great with the blending!
You are definitely much too critical of your work! I like this piece - great skin tones with the dense colours contrasting nicely with the softer tones in the head scarf. I especially like the sparkle in her eyes - well done!
Sheila said…
Bright and fresh and lovely!!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo