Rose and Gold

Rose and Gold
I know this will probably shock you but sweet little old me has a stubborn streak a mile wide.  My hubby will concur.  So, k knowing that I have a whole watercolor segment coming up I decided I better try to tackle it.  So tried to mix both watercolor/color pencil/hot pressed watercolor paper together to do some preliminary portrait practice.  I also actually practiced some restraint and tried to let it really dry between layers.

Since Sheila has opened some of the mysteries of GIMP to me I went in and changed the color tones on the reference photo and made her be more reflected in the golden late afternoon light.  I also tried to add a little opaque gouache to this just top see what kind of effect it would have for highlights.  Although I came close I lost a bit of the likeness and think that happened in the mouth/chin area.  But overall I think this has a bit more clarity than my last watercolor attempts.  

I realize I am drawn to vibrant watercolors, not the pastelish kind, although to too have their beauty.  So I decided to drag out some of my book collection.  Pulled out four that are watercolor/portraits - now isn't that strange for someone who doesn't watercolor?   Well, anyway, I wonder how typical I am - do you have art "how to" books?  If so, how many have you read cover to cover?  I tend to read spots/chapters.  So now I am going to try to go through and read at least one of these books to see if I can get a better handle on how to do both a portrait and watercolor at the same time!!

Painting Watercolor Portraits that Glow    Jan Kunz
How to Paint Skin Tones   James Horton
Painting Vibrant Children's Portraits  Roberta Carter Clark
How to paint living portraits   Roberta Carter Clark

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.


Comments

Helen said…
Yes, I do have painting how-to books. I also have some works-of-the-masters books. After I'd painted for a couple of years, I was reading them, consuming them, trying to learn from them. I passed several of them along to some other painters. Of the how-to books I kept, I do refer to them. Sometimes they have just the example I need. There are a few certain pages I refer to often (like the one that shows the recipe for copper, silver, gold, platinu, pewter).
Whenever I've painted (copied) something straight from one of those books, I'm conflicted. I know I have "permission" to paint it, but I don't feel like I can call it an original painting.
Joan Tavolott said…
Maybe I need to look at a few of those books on portraits. I have a lot of art how-to books, but like you I look at select sections and don't really read them from cover to cover. Especially with the watercolor books the beginnings of most of them cover materials and basics which I don't need to read. I tend to go back to the same sections of them. I also have numerous catalogues from the American Watercolor Society shows that I go to every year. Those I keep for inspiration.
Sheila said…
Strength of character - Oh my! I have wanted to use gouache, to learn how to use it better. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on it. I have a few really good watercolor books. A handful, and I read parts when I need them. I have a list of about 12 watercolor books I know I will read cover to cover. LOL. Rock on Nelvia! (still working on that letter :)
This is wonderful Nelvia. Painting portraits is not something I am interested in so I always skip over those parts in my book. As for the books, I have many none of which I have read cover to cover. Like many artists I just search for instruction as needed. I am more the read and try type - lol.
Nelvia said…
I find I can't copy the idea right from the book or video. I can take parts of it, or another reference and try to apply it, but no longer try to do it exact. I am glad that after getting back answers that I am not unusual in that even if I bought a book today I wouldn't read it from Chapter 1 to end, but either bounce around to answer questions or just the parts that interest me. By the way, I did finally get your pics and answers to the blog. Not sure where they went, but they did end up with me. I am answering and visiting your blog using firefox because I can reply using that browser and not the safari.
Nelvia said…
I have them pulled out but yet have to sit down and start studying. I am more into the just keep painting mode. But then isn't that the definition of insanity, if you keep doing the same thing and get the same result!! So I need to find my discipline and go at a bit of studying again.
Nelvia said…
Thanks much Carol. I think I am going to only use the color pencil in the future to enhance, not use in large areas as I am not a fan of the marks.
Nelvia said…
I only used the white here, but am going to definitely try using more color in some pieces. I haven't used it much, but of course, had to have it at some point or other. What are the top books on watercolor are you looking at as the "must" reads.
Nelvia said…
Yes, I get that try part. I really do like the videos even more than the books because I always felt in books there is that "part" that is missing from when the picture goes from not so great, ugly, to wow, this is looking good. I have always been drawn to portraits, not only of people, but all things, but the fundamentals can be applied to anything. Except landscapes and skies - I still am pretty poor at them.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo