Watercolor Practice


One of the things I hoped when I started Let's Face It  course was that I would get shoved out of my rut.  I wanted to do something different, but didn't necessarily have the tools to get there on my own.  Now, for me, working in watercolor is something really different.   I have to throw out all the "correction tools" that so many of my favorite media provides, and go with what I get in one or two strokes.   

Today I threw caution to the wind, and put down bolder brush work and colors.  I also am working on hot press watercolor paper and it seems to take the liquid and handles it better.  I had lots of errors here, paint where I didn't necessarily want it, but in the end I think I got a more watercolor-like look.  

Thank you my friends for calling me on one of my issues - too critical.  I realize after looking at more watercolors that the effect is so different than acrylic and pastel - it is clear, clean, translucent - I think I got close to that here.  If the head vision isn't right, then the end result can't be.

Isn't it uncanny - Helen's quote from Inside Out for this week is:
Good journal writing is fishing in the river of your mind
Well, I think that is true of good painting too!!

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.

Comments

Helen said…
Mmmm..... I love that one... "Good journal writing is like fishing in the river of your mind..." You just never know what you might "catch!"
H
Nelvia said…
Hmmn, or catch you?
Sheila said…
Great quote, and I agree. This is fabulous Nelvia! Wonderfully messy, blowing in the wind. Awesome textures! What is are the white spots? Salt or did you chip away at the paint after it dried? No matter, it all works!
Well done Nelvia! You are definitely getting a more watercolour look with this piece although I have seen watercolour that looked more like acrylic with the density of the paint. I figure anything goes.
carol edan said…
Lovely facial tones! Great!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo