Strolling watercolor figures

Strolling
Can you say WAY outside my comfort zone.   Not only am I trying to do this in watercolor, doing two techniques where paint blends on the paper, and you see layer edges but there in a little landscape in there.  Ugh!!   Had a bit of a battle also with the angles of the kids faces - still hard to do features, but yet not do features if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I thought these were the cutest kids and am sure it had to be posed as two siblings that age probably don't do this very often.

Ok, got to fess up but I ended up with a blue face on the little boy.  Let me tell you blue is pretty aggressive and nope I probably didn't wait long enough.   So had to fall back and use some acrylic to try to pull this out of the trash bin.  I also added some light acrylics to the little girls hair.   Boy, I tell you that being turned loose to use mixed media, either totally or in spots, really makes it possible to just almost make it work.  I guess I'll never be a purist in any media ever again.  It really helps to cheat in some way to get the result you wanted.

Thanks much for stopping by to take a look.

Comments

Sheila said…
You can Use gouache to cheat with watercolor too Nelvia. This is LOVELY :) The background is perfectly loose and lovely. The children are sweet. His face looks in shadow, as it would be. Beautiful. High five!!
hmuxo said…
Sweet painting!!!!
You sure pick hard subjects Nelvia but I think this turned out great. I like the blends you managed in the trees and shadows. As for adding acrylic to 'fix' things - it is still water media - lol.
Joan Tavolott said…
Lots of the masters used gouache in their paintings to add highlights and reclaim whites, so you are in good company. This came out really nice. It is hard to do children, especially when the figures are small and you are trying/not trying to add features. Mixed media is a blessing!
Nelvia said…
I have some gouache but haven't used it much, need to put that on my to do list. I like doing these little kids especially if they are doing something sweet
Nelvia said…
thanks Hilda, I bet that is something that doesn't happen often in real life
Nelvia said…
I have given watercolor the big try, but still it isn't one of my favs. Also through that segment and I got to admit I am ready to go forward
Nelvia said…
Yes I really love mixed media and am enjoying seeing all the boundaries that people are now pushing with that as their technique. I am getting the urge to collage again too.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo