The Bond Another WIP




Well I didn't start out thinking this would be a work in progress but have decided to go that way.  I saw this photo reference by Susan Freeman on PMP, and absolutely fell in love with the emotion of the piece.  The communication here is just special.

I am back working in acrylic, using some but not all interactive, on this piece.  I don't know why but am kind of going about it by working small areas at a time to pretty much completion.  This definitely is not what is usually recommended - most say to work the entire painting from rough in to finishing.

I am having a problem trying to mix that honey tone of the lighter areas an not make the sheen too white.  I think I will solve both of those by using a burnt sienna glaze over them to try to get to the color match. Think I will however put in the background now, of which I am still stumped on, because that will reflect in some of the colors of the main focus.  Thinking right now that it will start off the dark of an open barn door on the left and work through to greens, browns and some light blues of an open air type of feel.  If that looks too stupid then I will just go all dark without the gradations.
One of the things I think I did right in this picture is to get at least a major part of the focal point on the rule of thirds intersection.  Also I have spent a lot of time on painting and repainting and glazing Ed.  Since I am working on color I am trying really hard to match and he has a very outdoors ruddy complexion.  Hilda - got any suggestions on color mix?

As always appreciate your stopping by and suggestions or comments will be appreciated and considered.


Comments

A charming composition and it is looking really good so far. I took a workshop a few years ago where the instructor divided his reference material into small squares and, using a movable paper 'frames'- one for the reference and one for the painting - paints what is in the square from completely. He then moves the frames to the next location and paints that square. I found it amazing that the process worked so well. So, not everyone starts rough and works to the finish. Good luck with this piece Nelvia and have a great day.
Jane said…
This is going to be a stunner, already looking realllly good ! xx

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo