Into the Light

                                                                    Into the Light
                                                                         9"x8"
                                                                        Pastel
Well, this is based on the first advanced lesson from Colin Bradley.  As I have done previously, I am using a different pose than he did, but a similar concept.  then I still work through the instruction videos but I have an actual reference photo rather than his painting to work from.  I also utilize the colorization in my reference piece.  I am hoping this works as it was a daylight piece that I worked into a nighttime piece, but am cheating by saying he is coming into the light.  Think I can get away with that?  The next lesson is going to be a baby Orangutan and I am going to use my reference photo, but I am going to change the colors to the one that Colin did.  Keeps it interesting and helping me to really work into my color mixing a bit more.

Some of the tools that Colin works with are blenders.   They are similar to paint brushes but have silicone on the end.  I got some clay shapers, they have various silicone heads and used them in this piece.  Each shape of blender head gives some different effect, so it was interesting to figure out what to use and when.  It is different from a paper tortillion in that it moves through the pastel or you can pat down the pastel without flattening the pastel granules or the tooth of the paper.  I think it allows the lights to reflect down into the paper and back through the colors in a different manner.

The cat itself is all done with pastel pencils.  The background has an under base of gray pencil, and then green/red/black soft pastel rubbed into the paper to create the black.  Even many of the stripes have been built up using browns, rust, red first and then the black applied on top.

Thanks much for stopping by and have a super day.



Comments

Beautiful, love the softness of the fur.
Well done.
Sheila said…
So beautiful! Love the title. And the fur :)
As I wrote on FB - WOW! You did a fabulous job Nelvia, super texture on the fur and, of course, the eyes!
Joan Tavolott said…
Wow...this is great! You are really doing some beautiful animals. The coloring and lighting are so nicely done!
Jane said…
Another fabulous tiger, love the soft paws and the menacing look in his eyes !
Helen said…
Sometimes when you get the eyes right nothing else matters... and you did get the eyes right! I just keep going back to those gorgeous eyes.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo