30 Day Challenge #24 - Lady with Parasol

                                                                Lady with Parasol
                                                                         9"x12"
                                                                         Pastel
WARNING:  this may be more information than you want to know - but this is how my mind works.  This morning woke up to yet another dreary and rainy day, so thought, today I should paint an umbrella.  This is a beautiful shot of a recreation with live models from PMP, photographer is Lynne Fearman.  Anyway it was on about page 20 of umbrella shots and boy it reminded me of Monet's "Madame Monet on the Cliff ".   This is a beautiful picture at the Portrait Museum in DC.  Now, breathe, not the way it is painted, the pose reminded me of Monet (one could only dream and wish to paint like the impressionists).  Anyway while it is gray, rainy and cold I spent this morning with whites, grays and blues trying to make white - which is never really white.  Fun, fun, fun and only costs time and a little supplies.  Of course back to working with my go-tos, pastels, and that always feels good.

Thanks for stopping by and hope it's not raining/snowing/icing where you are!!!  Have a great weekend.

Comments

Jane said…
I wish I could paint with pastels like this, love it, perfectly impressionistic !
hmuxo said…
Wonderful work Nelvia! Monet would be proud...
so charming. I like the crispness of your edges. I have tried pastels and really admire people who can create such wonderful pieces.
Nelvia said…
Oh Jane, that is so nice and such a compliment especially coming from you!! Isn't it funny I wish I could do abstract like yours, hey if we practice, maybe .... :)
Nelvia said…
You know Hilda, not all of them come together easily, this one did and was such fun. Luckily I had seen Monet's work so was able to get the sky inspiration from him.
Nelvia said…
I seem to do well with drawing type materials and struggle with the brush - since I have pushed outside my comfort zone in this challenge it was good to get back to my beloved pastels on paper - felt like coming home. Thanks so much for checking and leaving me a note.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo