30 in 30 Challenge - #4 - Kingfisher

Kingfisher
5"x7"
Pastel/Velour Paper
 
This little guy is so cheerful and it is so dreary here that I just had to paint him.  This is another Gary Jones reference.  Please check Gary's wildlife photos out at PaintMyPhoto.ning.  He has such a wonderful eye and is just one of the photographers there that graciously allows us to use the pictures copyright free.  I never have seen a Kingfisher in the wild, not sure they are in our Southeast range.
 
I think now that I am doing enough of these on velour paper am getting some idea of how to manipulate the paper.  It takes a lot of pressure and many layers although it still eats my color.   For storage I am putting them in small plastic bags, curling them as I put them in or taking them out - since this is mostly practice I haven't mounted them on acid free board.   The bags however are big enough to hold a mounted picture and it is a perfect set up for mailing giving it support and easy for a framer to mount as it has the acid free backer already part of the painting.  Maybe I'll do some are I get more comfortable.
 
Thanks for stopping by and hope you are having a great weekend.

Comments

Nancy Goldman said…
Four great paintings so far Nelvia. I'm glad you're feeling good about the challenge. I love the look of pastels on velour paper. I've only done a couple of them and really noticed how much dust was in the air compared with when I use regular sanded paper. It really does eat up the pastels. Be sure to wear a mask. : )
sidmar said…
Lovely paintings Nelvia, I'm glad you joined this challenge:)
Nelvia said…
Thanks Nancy, you know how important it is for comments and support in this, sure is appreciated and hoping next time ... I am really liking the look on velour and the way the paper reacts too, but it does come with its consequences doesn't it?
Nelvia said…
Oh Sidmar, did I miss you, I know you did September and some beautiful paintings I might add, but wasn't sure you are doing this time. Will go back and look harder for your work. Thanks as you too know how much support means in this.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo