Costa's Hummingbird acrylic painting

                                                           
                                                            Costa's Hummingbird
                                                                        12"x9"
                                                                   Acrylic/pastel

It is really funny how the mind works.   I think when you are an artist you are always observing things and if we let it the mind subconsciously makes connections.  This picture came about because I watched a video on painting a hummer, am making address changes (boy is that a project, they don't make it easy) and I was thinking about April when the hummers arrive in our area.  I didn't leave them a forwarding address at our old address so am wondering if I will get any here in the new house.    This attempt is sending positive vibes into the stratosphere.   My other birds are so forlorn when we go, they just don't know what happened and it makes me feel bad.  But we are acquiring birds here and of course that pesky squirrel.

Hummers are one of my favorite birds to watch, we have the Ruby throats and they can be pretty vicious at certain times.  But I love to watch all the birds, each with their own personality.  I saw a pretty cardinal on the pasture fence and weeds, and am eventually going to capture it in a painting.

There are approximately 300 hummingbirds species worldwide and only about 12 types make it to North America.  I think this one might be a Costa although I am not sure.  But he does have purple as far up as his head.  They are found in the desert in the Southwest US.

Why the two pics?  When I posted the first one it looked flat to me, I was trying to capture the iridescent look of their feathers, but with regular acrylic paint.  So I dug out my iridescent Sennelier pastels (they are so pretty and I really haven't used them) and decided to hit a few spots.  The blues were pretty, but no purple, hence you get the pinkie version of purple.  Got to go with the flow.  Anyway I think it perked him up.

Ok, so I get points, I found the iridescent pastels but now I have lost my big palette knife that I use as a scraper.  I know I have used it since I got here, but he is hiding!!!!

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking a look.













Comments

Joan Tavolott said…
Both of these are lovely, but I have to say I do like the one with the pastel added. It really brings the feathers to life! I am sure you will cultivate relationships with new creatures there.
Jane said…
I'm sure the hummers will find you again, and I wish they would find me too LOL but they don't live here :-( You made an amazing painting of this hummer, the feathers look so real, and love the colors ! And as always you inspire me, never think about mixing medias until you remind me :-)
This is fabulous Nelvia and I like the one with the touch of pink best too. I hope you get hummers this spring -they are a joy to watch. Too bad about misplacing your palette knife, maybe it ended up where the cookie sheets were - lol.
Sheila said…
Last night I was searching for something. (Don't ask me what, I can't remember, OH Lordy!) But I had JUST moved it. I had just put it in a spot where I would know where it was. Yeah right. Ha ha ha. Well I did find it after a few minutes.
Your hummer is so pretty Nelvia. So is the branch acrylic, or is there acrylic under the entire painting? It all looks so soft and lovely, like pastel. Beautiful :)
hmuxo said…
Beautiful texture, Nelvia. I definitely like the splashes of pinks... Nice work..

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo