Well not much to show for this week as we got a taste of Spring and I took some time off to enjoy mild, non-snow or ice temperatures.  Got some porch sitting in and lots of good conversation as well as training to birds to remember it's our house and we get to sit, so come in and eat and get used to it.  Also found a lovely book on color that I think is going to bear some studying - Color Harmony by Margaret Kessler.  As I have looked through it there definitely are aha moments and she shows photos that she has painted and wow, they don't look the same as the real thing.  Quite liberating in my mind to just go with it and enhance.  It can still be realistic but have life and verve.

Here is my 5th monk, have the 6th on the table but it is taking me some time as it is more complex.  Most of the remainder of the monks have the detail on the monk as well as intricate detail in the background, so the entire surface is covered with strokes.  Thought this one was fun because I loved the color changing it up from black-and-white.

One of my 2014 goals was to become less dependent on photos, use my own reference photos and draw more from life.  The result from life is always different and learning to see is a goal for all of us.  So this portrait is an experiment at a life drawing group session.  It was a 3 hour session with breaks and most folks were doing alla prima oil study, but I sure didn't have the confidence to do more than utilize the charcoal - so I could erase  :)   Boy I haven't done this but one other time and it sure is different trying to measure looking at someone versus using a photo.  I apologized early on to him as I sure didn't want to insult him.  Like the life drawing process a lot though and am going to try all of the groups from classical figure to portrait and stilllifes.  It was nice to be with other artists, see what they were doing, give each other support and comments.  But it sure got quiet in there with everyone concentrating.  The model was great, he could really hold his pose, has been at it for 7 years, and was not put off by our efforts.

Well next post with probably be in March - whew!!! where is this year already going?

Thanks for stopping by and have a great week painting.

Comments

I think your portrait looks great.I have done a drawing class with a model,it was very hard. Well done.
Caroline
Nelvia said…
Thanks C, it was an adjustment and am looking forward to more sessions and drawing opportunities.
Jane said…
Excellent portrait, really love the difference from light and shadow.
Nelvia said…
Thanks Jane. Am going to another session this week and am going to take the plunge into color. Model is going to be a Flamingo dancer - all flash and I am excited.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo