Day 10 30 Day Challenge Molten Gold pastel landscape





                                                                   Molten Gold
                                                                      18"x12"
                                                                      PASTEL
As you know I am trying to learn how to paint landscapes.  I thought that Sandie Bell's photo was just awesome and then she came up with the title, Molten Gold, and I knew it was a winner.  A winner for her, not for me.   I painted this in acrylic, didn't like what I did as I got the water muddy and didn't like the overhanging tree in the front foreground.   So painted over the canvas and now it awaits another picture but I had to give it another try, this time in pastel.   This however has been a several day picture.  I got this done a few days early and now am going to tweak and play with it a bit more as I don't like the lighting, hopefully before the final post.   I will show both so you can tell me if I improved it or not.

Ok, now you can see what I overworked and added more light I think to the right-hand bottom corner.  I don't want it too bright but it isn't in the dense shade.  Suggestions most welcome.

I know, I wanted to go semi-abstract, well I am sure this is not most people's idea of abstract even if it is semi.  But for me it is rather looser and not as detailed as I normally do,  it certainly is abstract when you look at the tree leaves.  

This is on Artagain recycled paper on the smooth side.  Now I have to get brave enough to stop with the paper and go onto the pastel mat.  I think I have done enough pastel again to go ahead and bite the bullet.

I have been pushing hard and at only day 10 I am starting to get tired.  This I will need to do a subject change back to simpler projects.  Thanks much for stopping by.

Comments

hmuxo said…
You aced painting the water!!! It's a beautiful scenery Nelvia!
Unknown said…
Such a beautiful painting!! Move on to pastel mat, brave girl...move on!!
Joan Tavolott said…
The pastel one has a nice richness to it! I think it was worth doing it twice!!
Unknown said…
LOVE IT! So tranquil - superb.
Nelvia said…
The water reflections and strong back light was what really caught me. What a magical place this is. The photographer was kind enough to tell me her thoughts when she was waiting for the picture and I think that really helped add to the feel of this piece. Going to slog on with more landscapes.
Nelvia said…
Thank you Ophelia. Stopped by your site and am going to spend some time there. I really appreciate your stopping by and commenting. It always helps to get support. Good luck with the rest of the challenge.
Nelvia said…
Hi Joan, Yes they say when you do something more than one time you learn more and get a better result. I think I am going to try it yet again. Something about all the elements of this piece just calls to me. I also need to figure out how to do the leaves.
Nelvia said…
Hilda how do you handle all the layers of leaves when you do a landscape?
Nelvia said…
Hi Diane, yeah, I wish I was as tranquil as it. I wasn't when I was painting it and doing a bit of creative speaking (aka swearing). But I think it turned out well, probably my best landscape to date.
a lovely morning feel to this piece, soft and gentle with a dreaming quality to it. It will be interesting to see what changes you make, Nelvia but don't make too many!
Sheila said…
The water is stunning! I like it just the way it is :)
Nelvia said…
You know I can't ever make them come out the same. I think the biggest different will come from the support. Think it might be crisper, but don' know for sure. Will be exciting to see what happens.
Nelvia said…
Thank you Sheila, yes the water is one of the things that caught my eye on this. Reflections always add so much color and detail if the water is smooth.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo