Day 8 Burba's Wave semi-abstract seascape

                                                                     Burba's Wave
                                                                         17"x9"
                                                                        Acrylic
Ok, ok, I have deviated from the theme, but scales do live in this.  Actually I haven't really been able to create abstracts and during one of my insomnia moments I saw this painting in my head and decided to try going into semi-abstract and see if I could sneak up on it.   Many thanks to John Warren at PMP for the use of his awesome shot to get things rolling (by the way he has some beauties if you want to paint water).   The title came from a friend who loves, or at least used to, teal, peach and creams/whites in her decor.    She also is a beach person so I thought of her when this was just a dream and she was with me while I painted it.  I am hoping she will be pleased with the result.

I decided to use the palette knife again since I had good luck with the water in Wave Runner.  I have to say there is something seductive in using the knife.  I also used some pretty heavy watercolor paper which had a lot of texture, that really helped to break up the paint as it was being applied.  Only thing I realize I must use my plastic tarp under the easel because I tend to sling paint everywhere.  But it is great fun and I am definitely going to keep working on this technique and the idea of representational abstract.

I also wanted to try to use a different size of painting to see if it made it look more panoramic.

Thanks much for stopping by to take a look.

Comments

Helen said…
Very nice! I'm always intrigued by work done with a palette knife.
Joan Tavolott said…
Lovely!!! You really captured the movement of the wave, the crest and splash, and the colors of the water. Nicely done!
Jane said…
I wish my dreams could turn into such amazing paintings, really love the force and the foamy water , just perfect !
Very Cool, Nelvia and I laughed at the comment about slinging paint around - been there, done that. Good dream to help create this piece.
Nelvia said…
I never used the knife until recently and thought it quite awkward. But my motto is to just keep trying it and now I am finding some things that I really like using it for. I saw a YouTube video where an Italian artist did the most beautiful horses all with the knife. When I grow up maybe ....
Nelvia said…
I just put this on my online gallery and am going to be interested to see if I get any response. This is a very different look for me. Lots more texture than I usually do.
Nelvia said…
Hi Jane, I wish I could get more of my wild eyed thoughts on paper. I was lucky this one turned out pretty close. As you can see I am still way far away from abstract. But I am sneaking up on it and hope to one day do some as well as yours.
Nelvia said…
You know I have more respect for some of the modern painters now. They must have had big spaces because it is amazing just how far a drop of paint can go!!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo