Day 9 30 Day Challenge Freedom horse acrylic

                                                                            Freedom
                                                                              9"x12"
                                                                              Acrylic
Well, this was fun.  It started with using the knife to do the background and I kind of like the mottled effect that I got.  Also I am really liking Phathlo Blue which I haven't used much of previously, usually Ultramarine Blue, but this seems to have lot of versitility and also like a lot how it blends down when you add white.

I also used a couple of other colors in this piece, Mauve Dust, Black Cherry and Blue Fog - these are the small acrylic bottles you get at the craft store.   The Black Cherry gave a nice rich dark to go with Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine blue.   I ended up using the Mauve as the highlight color - it came in light like whites but had color in it so it didn't look washed out.  The fog blue was in the background mix and also used it in the mane as some of the highlights.

I do think I really need to work a bit more on the horse placement, and might go back and put in more of the chest in to kind of balance out the piece, or I could just cheat and crop it tighter as I did on the left.    Suggestions anyone?

TIP:  One of the things about horses that tell a lot about their emotions is the way their ears are pointed - who knew - but apparently it makes a huge difference.  So note to myself, as I do further horses really watch the ears.

A friend on PMP, Avierietief, is kind enough to allow me to show her picture from the same shot.  She did this in pastel.  I think it is so terrific that you get to see someone interpret the same thing you did and when choices they make.  Since yet each is unique.

Thanks much for stopping by and have a super week.

Comments

hmuxo said…
Horses are always a favorite. Beautifully painted!!
Joan Tavolott said…
You do horses really well!!! Nicely done!!! I did hear that about horse's ears at some time.
Helen said…
So?? What are this horse's ears saying? Is he happy? or angry?
I LOVE "seeing" the wind in his mane!
H
Your painting has such a lot of movement with the mane blowing in the wind and I feel like the horse is running too. It all makes the title 'Freedom' work so well. Also, I think lengthening the right side of the body would balance the piece better but might take away from the movement feel. I am sure you will figure it out, Nelvia.
Nelvia said…
Hi Hilda, I think you are right that horses are pretty popular. I haven't put many out so I am not sure what the reaction would be. I have followed Lesley Harrison, the great pastelist, and for 30 years she has done a lot of horses. Have you seen her work? Awesome
Nelvia said…
Thank you Joan. I love all animals and am fascinated by many of them even though I am not owned by one. I rode very little when younger and am kind of afraid of them to tell the truth. I like working with all of them in my safe little studio - smells better too!!
Nelvia said…
Oh Helen, now you got me, I am not sure how to read ears, only that you should. Guess that is something I should look up. I am going to say he was happy since he got to run to his hearts content. I wonder what they think when they run just for fun.
Nelvia said…
I am not sure what, if anything I am going to do with this, as it is more of a study. But after the challenge I may go back and add in more body as you mention.
Nelvia said…
Thank you Sheila, I think that is my favorite way to paint with a close up crop so I can get those details!!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo