Day 5 30 Day Challenge - Watching


Watching
4"x5"
Acrylic
Yep am here again with another cat, but they make great subjects as they have so many moods.  I haven't painted many house cats, usually only the big boys.  There have been some articles recently that state cats now are causing issues in many parts of the world because they are hunters with no predators, and are destroying certain other species.

This cat certainly is intent on watching something.  Trying to get the multi-color fur was a bit of a challenge.  I still don't have the technique with the right brush together, but it is coming and am sure the answer is practice.  I keep experimenting trying to get the different layers, groupings, shadows and hair lengths.  I had a lot of fun trying to put in the different colors in the eyes, simply put in blotches and then did several layers of glazing of yellows and my green mixture.  The background is made with ochre, very little white and phathlo blue - surprising myself in that I really like that blue as it seems to be super versatile.    I also surprised myself and feel that I actually got the left ear looking kind of translucent.  So all in all I am pretty happy with this study.

TIP:   When working from photos be sure you are using photos that have shadows and aren't bland and washed out by flash.  You need the shadows to get form.  But remember that shadows in reality are never as dark as in a photo - there is also a lot more color other than black in a shadow. 

Thanks much for stopping by.

Comments

hmuxo said…
Wow! Beautiful work!
Nelvia said…
Boy Hilda, you are bright and early this morning. thanks much as I am pretty pleased with how this turned out, only wish I knew how I did it. Just goes to show we have to do 10 before we get 1 we like. As always appreciate your support. Hey we might get some snow this weekend, be just like you guys!!
Nelvia said…
Hi Sheila, I think we have crossed paths on Val's site? Thanks much for taking and look and for leaving such a nice comment, much appreciated.
Helen said…
Good reminders about the shadows.
Go over and have a look at https://dianehoeptner.blogspot.com/
She paints almost exclusively cats. And, she's amazing at it.
Jane said…
Love this cat portrait, very intense look, and you made a great work on the fur !
Joan Tavolott said…
Love the look on his face. Photos really aren't the best to work from but since pets don't sit still for long there isn't much of a choice. lol Your eyes in this one are great!
This is just super Nelvia. I think you are really coming along with the fur and the ears are really good on this cat. Great expression too - well done!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo