Day 12 30 Day Challenge Mouse

In the real world this little guy wouldn't make me happy, but in my world today he makes me smile.  I wanted to rest a little bit so decided to do this as an experiment - yep that's my byword I guess.  Je is another mini, only 3.5"x3.5".  It is on stock paper which is nice and smooth (I bought a package for another experiment that didn't work out).  So thought I'd try to utilize the colors behind some sketches and use some of it.  I put down the base coat with pan pastels as I wanted to see if I could put graphite over it, I already know that color pencil doesn't work.  I also wanted to see if you could layer a lighter color over a darker color and you can see it did work in the lighter areas.  You can see the applicator was still dirty from another picture, but doesn't matter because there is always a lot of color in shadows.  Then I went over the top of the pans with graphite and voila, in about 20 minutes I was done for today!!   My reward for a job well done - now I get to clean the house after taking Christmas decorations down I have those lousy artificial needles everywhere from the swags!!!

Thanks much for stopping by.

Comments

Joan Tavolott said…
He looks so soft and touchable...even if I wouldn't want to touch him. lol The graphite over the pastels really worked well. Nicely shaded!
Sheila said…
Hi Nelvia, been trying to get to your blog since this morning. Saved it to the last because I wanted to spend time catching up. Love this little mouse. I have wanted to try pan pastels. Took some classes with a teacher that showed us how they work, just a bit. They look like fun. This is so cute :)
I agree that mice are better in art than in life and this just proves it. So Cute! I am surprised that you got this done in 20 minutes as it sounds like the process was quite involved. Have fun with the housework, Nelvia - it is always with us!
hmuxo said…
Beautifully painted Nelvia! Love the softness of this piece!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo