Day 11 30 Day Challenge Cat Monoprint

Well I have clicked off a few days wasting time, where I was ahead, while I was fooling around trying to make some mono prints.  Also I think I got a little too complex so I am going to have a few days here where I do smaller projects.  I have to take exception with myself and give this definition of studies - Studies are footprints in the sand of the journey of an artist.   What a superb thought.

Ellen at PMP posted a mono print and a YouTube video of the process and it sure looked intriguing so I just had to try it.

This is painted all in one layer on glass with watercolors.  I then misted over the top of the watercolors to get them wet again and then pressed the damp paper on top to see what image you got.      I didn't have all the equipment so it was a pretty elementary process.  Hate to tell you this, but this is the best I got and it is still pretty ghostly.  Ellen tells me that I should work over it, and maybe I will.  I am sure there are a lot of factors and probably one is to put more paint onto the glass, and maybe if I would have used bristol board or a softer paper it might have printed better instead of all the valleys you see here.  I am going to try the interactive acrylics again but put the slow dry directly on the glass under the paint and see if that helps it release.  It is a process that I am certainly going to explore more of.

I tried this with interactive acrylics and the paper was too wet and peeled away, then I got a more smudged image, still looks like a cat, but ...  per Ellen, maybe I can work over it too.

Anyway it was a nice interlude and as I say I'll try again.

Comments

Joan Tavolott said…
What a fun experiment! I think it looks like a very textured cat. I haven't done a monoprint that way. I do have a gelli plate for monoprints, but I haven't used that much either. You experiment much more than me...I should try different things more often.
hmuxo said…
I wish I had your energy! This looks very interesting!
I thought at first that this was on fabric; something you might see on Antiques Roadshow. The cat is so well done - how did you get that on glass? A friend tried to show me monoprinting a few years ago and I failed miserably. I like the little saying you shared - I have made lots of footprints in my time.
Sheila said…
I never knew you could do monoprints with watercolors. Very interesting indeed :) Really enjoyed the quote, and the sharing of your process :)
Nelvia said…
Well I end up experimenting because frankly I never knew something existed. When I see something new I just usually have to try it. I saw a video on the gelli plate for the mono prints and that might be one of the answers the fact that it gives a little. I'll have to look around for one of those because I definitely want to do more of these mono prints.
Nelvia said…
You know I feel like I grew up in a vacuum, When I look around there are so many creative ways to go in our art experience and boy people are pushing the envelope. Just gets you cranked up.
Nelvia said…
I had no idea either but again, sound like a broken record, when I checked YouTube sure enough there was a person using watercolor. I don't always relate to quotes but this one sure seemed appropriate at the time.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo