Nicolae's GF Laughing Giraffe mixed media portrait

Nicolae's Giraffe

Over the years we have decided the places we like to visit and have gone back multiple times.   In this day and age I think it is uncommon that in a hotel environment the workers would have been there 10-35 years.  So friendships develop.   Each of the people we have encountered have made our stays extra special in a variety of ways.   One of the ladies that works the check in desk had a baby last year.   Since we were unable to go in November we just saw her when we were in DC.   He is now 14 months, and in love with giraffes.  She has a yellow and gray nursery decor and I wanted to do a giraffe.   Wasn't sure if it should be the "kiddie" kind, but thought he might outgrow it.   So I decided to do one semi realistic so that he wouldn't outgrow it right away.  Aren't they just the strangest looking animal?

I always wish I would keep my mouth shut, because it does worry me when I say I will paint something - it sort becomes like a commission then, more pressure.  I looked at all kinds of giraffe pics and kind of liked this guy as he has a bit of personality, I thought he might be a happy, laughing giraffe.  When at the Birmingham Alabama zoo we got to feed some giraffes.   They have a really long tongue, love romaine lettuce (me too!!) and were very gentle about taking it out of your fingers.  

So started with a 6"x12" canvas board and collaged it.  I had some printed book pages but it sort of attracted too much attention, no problem, just collages a solid piece over the top of it.  So the only thing printed that I left really visible was some pieces of a map.    Why, as my hubby's first question came out?   Well, I like the idea of it and that it makes you think and maybe ask why and also it could be part of the story.

So it is off to the post office and fingers crossed he will recognize it as a giraffe and like it.

Comments

Helen said…
Lucky little boy! The giraffe's great! And, isn't art supposed to make us ask why? Good for your husband for seeing that!
carol edan said…
Wow! Love him and I am sure Nicholae will too!
This is so much fun Nelvia. I am sure the child will love this for many years .
Sheila said…
Love, LOVE, LOVE!
Joan Tavolott said…
This is so cute!!! I'm sure he will love it. Since it isn't a little kid's character giraffe he will be able to enjoy it for much longer.
hmuxo said…
Great job Nelvia...love the touch of blues... YES, he will love this one...
Nelvia said…
Well Paul wasn't being helpful - he was actually complaining as this wasn't "his idea of giraffe . But we often disagree when he is critical - engineer brain - black/white. But finally getting where it doesn't bother me as much any more. Yes, I hope he will enjoy this for a while. Always on pins and needles until I hear it was received, in good condition and that they like it.
Nelvia said…
Thanks Carol, are you still liking the course you are taking this year?
Nelvia said…
I really like the background effects that you get with the collage. Someone told me, while I didn't do it intentionally - oh Yes, I did - not, well that the background emmulates the spots on the giraffe.
Nelvia said…
While they look pretty unusual I have always liked them. After we got to feed them at the Birmingham ALA Zoo I really have a soft spot in my heart for them. Poor little babies though, first welcome to the world is a 6' drop as they are born. I would have thought the mom would lie down, but they don't.
Nelvia said…
See, we think in a similar manner - hubby disagrees. Oh, well, since he did some teaching he probably is right that the attention span will be short. But I sure had fun painting him.
Nelvia said…
Thanks Hilda, lots of greens in this one, so had to add a bit of blue and purple to the tips of whatever the things are on their heads.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo