Here are my experiments for this week.  When we were in DC last week we saw an exhibit of silhouette portraits which was a popular art form in the 1700-1800s.  Looking at photos of sunrise or sunset, most cameras make all back lit shadows look solid black.  Thought that would look dramatic against a colorful sky.  Little did I know when I wanted to try to capture the spirit of Africa it would turn out to be so timely with the passing of Nelson Mandela.  I  hope you all saw REnate's portrait of the man, it was really an awesome picture of an unusual human being and someone who changed our world for the better.
I have a couple more of these in mind and hope to create a little series.  These are acrylic and ink on 5x7 watercolor paper.  Know there are a couple more coming, antelope with their classic horns, an elephant and monkey at least.
thanks for stopping by and hope you are having a great painting week.
 
 









Comments

renate said…
Wow Nelvia, what are you up to?!!?? This is so amazing. Stunning colors and my favorite part of the world: Africa. I'm looking forward to the next serie. Uh.. it was Desmond Tutu I painted, but hey they are both beautiful people:) I was sad by letting go Nelson Mandela.
I love your experiments Nelvia, go for it! Kisses and hugs:)xxx
Alexander said…
wakunana matata ... i hope you know the movie. very nice

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo